Pavlin Koev

Ford explorer xlt: abs light, traction control light..wrench..kicks

<p>2006 ford explorer xlt 4x4. abs light, traction control light, and wrench have been coming on. when i start the truck, it seems fine, except the abs kicks in when at random times, even when i'm not on the brake. then eventually the abs light comes on and no longer seems to operate. when the abs light comes on it triggers the traction control light, which in turn triggers the wrench.   At times when I start the car something is preventing me from going forward and something is ratteling in the back. Eventually it gives up and works but I know one of these days its not. Id like to have an idea on what is wrong before I take it to a mechanic in my neighborhood and an idea on a price to fix it. NYC mechanics can milk you for everything so I'd like to be prepared. Thanks</p>

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.

Pavlin Koev :

Your code reader will not access all codes

Will send you info in a minute, there is problems with ABS unit in some trucks.
Click here to read Service bulletin. I believe this is your problem, You can have it diagnosed one more time,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So that is also preventing my truck from moving and causing the ratteling? I'd this difficult to fix? Is it expensive? Thanks
ABS unit replacement is not cheap, it will be around 1000.00 dollars 760 for ABS unit + taxes ans labor is 1.6 hours. What is holding the truck I am not sure, On vehicle inspection has do be done for that. I will check to see if i will find something.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can't my truck do with out abs? If so they can remove it right?
Well, ABS unit is part of communication system, your safety will be affected and truck resale value as well. it will cost more than to fix it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But in reality truck can drive fine without it right? 1,000 plus labor a bit too much to pay at once in this economy.
you are correct, what you can do is pull out the ABS fuse for now. That will be fuse F6-40A in battery fuse box. you can drive like that until better times come.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was thinking maybe the calibar was preventing from moving. Not really sure but it definitely has something to do with the abs and traction control problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is my abs unit located on my suv?
it is at front left corner of engine compartment, follow brake lines from muster cylinder, lines are going to ABS unit. under battery, it will have about 6 brake lines attached to it.