Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

Ford why does cam sensors in 2007 f150 5.4l engine go out

Customer Question

why does cam sensors in 2007 f150 5.4l engine go out and cause the need for an engine replacement?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Faulty cam sensors do not require replacing the engine , explain to me what is happening.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My 2007 Ford F150 Pickup w/5.4L Engine and aprroxmately 60,000 miles started to realy rattle when engine came to an idle (sometimes). Ford dealer said engine needed cam sensors; they were installed at a cost of $ 1,800.00 + or -. Got the truck out of the shop the next day, it begain rattling same as before. I returned it to dealer and the last option was to replace engine @ $ 5,000.00 + or -. Before truck first went to shop it ran fine and sounded fine on the open road, but had this engine rattle when it came to an idle (somtimes). Maybe we could have a phone conversation on this matter

(XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Thanks

James C. Pemberton, Jr. - President

James C. Pemberton Corp.

Are you sure you mean sensor , or is it the cam actuator , or maybe phaser
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I sent you additional information ,and has not heard back from you .Please reply. Thanks James

I did not get the additional information could you please send it again thank you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My 2007 Ford F150 Picup w/5.4L engine and approximately 60,000 miles started to realy rattle whe the engine came to an idle (sometimes). Ford dealer said the engine neede cam sensors; they were installed at a cost of $ 1,800.00 + or -. got the truck out the shop the next day and it begain ratting same as before. I returned it to the dealer and the last option was to replace the engine @ $ 5,000.00 + or -. Before the truck first went to the shop it ran fine and sounded fine on the open road, but had this engine rattle when it came to an idle (sometimes). Maybe we could have a phone conversation on this matter (XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Thanks,

James C. Pemberton, Jr. - President

James C. Pemberton Corp.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My 2007 Ford F150 Picup w/5.4L engine and approximately 60,000 miles started to realy rattle whe the engine came to an idle (sometimes). Ford dealer said the engine neede cam sensors; they were installed at a cost of $ 1,800.00 + or -. got the truck out the shop the next day and it begain ratting same as before. I returned it to the dealer and the last option was to replace the engine @ $ 5,000.00 + or -. Before the truck first went to the shop it ran fine and sounded fine on the open road, but had this engine rattle when it came to an idle (sometimes). Maybe we could have a phone conversation on this matter (XXX) XXX-XXXX. I am not satisfied with the answer.

Thanks,

James C. Pemberton, Jr. - President

James C. Pemberton Corp.

Are you sure they only replace the sensor says seems like an awful lot of money for just replacing the sensors, unfortunately the site does not allow for phone conversations or communications outside of this format. If you have are rattling noise I would suspect faulty cam pacers or loose timing chains, worn timing chain guides, or one timing chain tensioners