NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master
21564301

1999 ford explorer: timing marks..the main timing chain..sprocket

Customer Question

1999 ford explorer, are there timing marks on the main timing chain and lower sprocket ??
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Which engine do you have ? 8th letter in your vin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

8th vin is a letter E I already have the timing cover off and found that the tensior is bad..but the chain also needs to be replaced..I am only doing the main timing chain not the others I just cant see a timing mark on the top or lower sprocket..

If its easier you can call me XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Enclosed are the factory procedure for replacing the Chian.

Read thru them and They will give you the marks as well as assembly instructions. The engine assembly instruction are the better instructions.

Click the link below.

http://wikisend.com/download/370124/A1.pdf

http://wikisend.com/download/531476/A2.pdf
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I appreciate what you just sent me but it does not answer my question, I will repeat..does the main chain top and bottom sprockets have timing marks (yes or no)

I am not doing all that the manual shows just the main timing chain tensioner and guide.

I cought the problem early enough, the motor runs fine, it has not skipped timing...no other noise is evident...just want to replace the front chain and be done with it..I dont think I need to do all the other stuff with the special tools if all i am doing is the main chain ??

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
If you look at the assembly instruction you will see what you need .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have some heart, I am a retired ASE master mechanic...cant you just give me a yes or no answer or point me in the right direction?? Really ? you srnd me pdf files ???

,,(never worked on ford explorers)

The instruction dont show any marks on the sprockets ???

If I wanted pdf instructions i could of gotten them free on the internet...I dont need that crap..all I need is a direct answer from a "Professional"

Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I can help. Do you have a 4.0 SOHC engine (v6) or a 4.6 (v8)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
8th vin is a letter E I already have the timing cover off and found that the tensior is bad..but the chain also needs to be replaced..I am only doing the main timing chain not the others I just cant see a timing mark on the top or lower sprocket..my question is..is there a timing mark on the main chain sprockets (upper and lower)

Hi, no timing marks on cam shaft or crank shaft. Hope this sheds some light, been repairing these engines since they came out. Let me know if you need any explanation, or help. Also, any more details are always appreciated!

Hi, based on information given above with vin, looks like you have a 4.0 SOHC Engine. This engine requires special tools to hold the crank in place, along with the cams in place. The tool for the crank goes on the harmonic balancer, in the notch, and the tool for the cam goes on the squares of the cam shafts, one of the most difficult engines to time if not familiar with the special tools (which are expensive, over 300, even if found used). Basically the way it works, is the machined tools hold the components in the correct spot, to allow removal and installation of the chain/ tensionors. If replacing only front chain guide, you can sometimes sneak it out around the chain, but is not recommended. If you visually look at the the guide, and chain and it looks fine, just replacing the tensionor on top will usually fix the problem, not requiring any timing chain or guide replacement. Chain will "feel" loose when explorer is off. I would try this first to just replace front tensionor, and leave chain and guide alone, There should be an updated tensionor that will stop the "noise on start up" if that is what you are hearing.

Thanks!

NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master