freddie at 23
freddie at 23, Ford Technician
Experience:  I have been working at a ford dealer for 22 yrs specializing in electrical and transmission problems
10705790

Ford Explorer My 2005 ford explorer has a knocking sound coming

My 2005 ford explorer has a knocking sound coming from inside the drivers side fender. It happens when I am in park, when I am moving, and pretty much no matter what I do. The knock happens approximately every second and lasts for around 4 or 5 minutes after I start up the vehicle. I am guessing that it is something electrical because it does not matter if I am moving or not, in gear or not, wipers on or off, turn signals on or off, etc. Any ideas?

Thank You,
Kent.
Category: Ford
Expert:  freddie at 23 replied 6 years ago.
HI MY NAME ISXXXXX CAN HELP YOU TODAY. AFTER THE NOISE GOES AWAY HOW LONG DOES THE CAR HAVE TO SIT BEFORE IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The noise usually happens when the car is started after sitting for a long period of time. The knocking usually stops after a couple of miles. This morning however it did not start until I drove around 3 miles then it lasted for around 3 or 4 minutes. The knocking is coming from above and behind the drivers side rear tire. If I listen from the outside this is where the sound comes from and if I open the rear hatch the sound comes from inside the plastic moulding on that side of the car.

Thanks,

Kent.

AT FIRST I THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE MISTAKING THE NOISE FOR AN EXHAUST LEAK BUT THAT WOULD ONLY OCCUR ON COLD START UP AND IT IS NOT ALL THAT COMMON ON THE 4.0 LITER 6 CYL. HOW EVER BASED ON THE NEW INFORMATION YOU SENT I BELIEVE YOU HAVE AN EXHAUST RATTLE THIS ISNT USUALLY TOO HARD TO FIND BUT IT REQUIRES GETTING UNDER THE VEHICLE WHILE IT IS HAPPENING OR YOU CAN TRY TO HIT THE EXHAUST WITH A RUBBER MALLET YOU CAN DO THIS WITHOUT THE VEHICLE RUNNING YOU PROBABLY HAVE A EXHAUST SHIELD HITTING SOMEWHERE IN THE UNLIKELY EVENT YOU DONT FIND ANYTHING IT MIGHT BE POSSIBLE YOU HAVE A LOOSE OR BROKEN BAFFLE INSIDE THE MUFFLER I HOPE THIS HELPS. PLEASE CLICK ACCEPT SO I CAN RECEIVE CREDIT FOR THIS ANSWER AND DONT HESITATE TO CONTACT ME IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE THANKS. FREDERICK
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This is not an exhaust issue. This knocking happens almost like a clock ticking, every second no matter what is happening. You can be going over bumps or sitting still. It does not skip a beat or change the frequency. I know a bit about cars and I know that this does not have anything to do with the exhaust. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Kent.

I DONT KNOW OFF HAND OF ANYTHING LOCATED IN THAT AREA THAT IS MECHANICAL THAT COULD CAUSE THIS NOISE LET ME TAKE A LOOK THROUGH THE SERVICE MANUAL TO SEE IF THERE IS ANYTHING I CAN FIND. DO YOU HAVE REAR HEAT AND AIR CONDITIONING?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes and I looked up at that area today and there are air conditioning lines running up into there where the knocking is coming from.

Thanks,

Kent.

OH THATS GOOD THE FRONT AC SYSTEM USES A FIXED ORFICE TUBE TYPE SYSTEM AND IS A PRETTY QUIET SYSTEM THE REAR AC USES A THERMOSTATIC EXPANSION VALVE AND THESE HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO MAKE NOISE WHEN THE AC SYSTEM BECOMES A LITTLE LOW ON CHARGE. I WOULD START BY HAVING THE SYSTEM RECHARGED THIS SHOULD CURE YOUR NOISE. GOOD LUCK. YOU CAN CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS. FREDERICK