Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2003 ford taurus: much torque on the shaft

I have to replace a front wheel bearing on a 2003 ford taurus.. is there anyting I need to
know .. how much torque on the bolts.. and can I use an impact to tighten the drive shaft bolt??

thanks dave
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Sounds like you know the general steps. The 3 hub bearing mounting nuts are torqued to 70 ft lbs. The axle halfshaft torque is 184 ft lbs. If you do need diagrams or assistance beyond that then reply and let me know.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
can I hurt the bearing if i tighten the drive shaft nut with an impact wrench..
As long as you can feel real well with your impact and get it close to correct specs then no it will not hurt it. I use a impact sometimes alone and sometimes use it then double check my impact torque.