kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

Ford Explorer My 1998 Ford Explorer will not shift into park.

My 1998 Ford Explorer will not shift into park. I cannot get the gears to shift into "park". So I have to leave the Explorer in Nuetral to park, and put blocks on the wheels so it won't roll away.....Is this the gear shaft or the transmission? If I only fix the gear shaft will the transmission still go? Where is the problem????? Thanks for your help.!

kalamykid :

Does the shifter fell kinda floppy when you chage gears? Will the trans go all the way into low 1st gear with the shifter?

Customer:

will not shift easily into 1st gear...it is floppy

kalamykid :

if you remove the lower cover under the drivers side of the dash, look at the base of the column on the top side and see if the braket bolts that hold the lever to the column have back out. The lever will conect the column to the shifter cable.

kalamykid :

These bolts are bad for coming out. When you shift the shifter to park, will the key come out?

Customer:

i put on emergency brake get under the car and then i shift to park

Customer:

yes the key will come out once i take the above action