Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

98 ford ranger: 3.0. My idle was surging..Idle control valve

i have a 98 ford ranger 3.0. My idle was surging very high. I replace the Idle control valve. The problem corrected for about two days. I then just kept unplugging it when it idled to fast. this went on for months. Finely I just left it unplugged. My fuel milage was terrible. so I removed it again and cleaned it. This worked great at first . But once the truck warmed up after driving a bit it started surging again. Not as bad as before though. Is it possible the part I bought went bad that quick. Or is the problem the tps? The guy from firestone said the idle sensor code came up but it may have been unplugged when he ran scan.
Submitted: 3 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The 1998 has a known problem like the one you are describing and its not likely caused by a bad IAC,, Ford has released a TSB that deals with the correct repair and that involves reprogramming the PCM. I have enclosed the TSB for your review. Yours may or may not set the code .

DOWNLOAD HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What do you mean by mine may or not set the codes? Do I bring the truck to a ford dealer or is this something firestone can do? Is this very expensive? I also wante to let you know this trck has had the moter changed. But all the attachments are old. he just changed the
motor. So I guess all computor stuff in from 1998.Does this make a differance?
Also am I limited to this one question? lol Or can I get answers on this truck for a month?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Not all the 1998 will set the code P0320 and the dealer is going to have to do the programming for you. Most dealers charge one hour of labor. The attachment should be ok, the programming is what needs to be updated.

If you have a monthly subscription you have all month, new topic require that you accept if your happy with your answer but you are not charged.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just one more quick thing. My printer does not work will the dealership know about this update or do I need to to print this out and bring it with me?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
They should have it on file but Its a good idea to bring a copy along as well so you are informed.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs