Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

Getting code..code B2292 - driver side seat belt pretensioner fault

Up for another question? Same vehicle. Getting code B2292 - driver side seat belt pretensioner fault. Ford dealership says resistance too high. Can you send pinpoint test as you did for the steering column? I'm thinking of trying resistors in place of seat belt and steering column just to see if I can get airbag light to turn off.

Company who new supplied seat belt pretensioner said its resistance is 2.2 ohms, and should be 2.0-2.5 ohms for a good part. But Ford dealer still saw a resistance too high, so that's puzzling.

Also, will the airbag light turn off immediately if the part is good (or resistor test works)? Asking because the Ford dealer said some codes can take a while to go away, but he didn't seem to know what "a while" was. Maybe some number of warmups of the vehicle. If so, do you know the magic criteria for this?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Click below for pinpoint test. When the module sees all faults corrected the light will go off right away. The codes will stay in RCM memory for x amount of key cycles but the light will go off right away if the key is cycled and no hard faults exist.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The seat belt (retractor) is showing B2292, not the buckle. Since I don't have a scanner, do you have a recommended way to troubleshoot?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.
Sure don't. You are blind without a scanner, even if a circuit shows good it doesn't mean the rcm is seeing it the same, and having the rcm or the component disconnected also can affect the circuit readings when a test has you monitor a pid with the circuit intact there is no way around that part of the test. I could see if the dealer said there was a dead short or open circuit - then you could at least ohm out the wires as a basic test but if resistance is just a little off then there is no way around monitoring pid data for some of the routines.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The seat belt (retractor) is showing B2292, not the buckle.

It looks like you gave me the pinpoint test for the buckle. Can you give me the pinpoint test for the seat belt?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

That is the entire test for B2292 which is for the buckle side pretensioner. The retractor pretensioners are called load limiting retractors and if at fault will trip a B1085. The codes are generic (they cover the entire circuit including wire problems module problems etc... If you want specifics on the code i.e short,open etc.. then you need to retrieve the bit mapped codes which also requires an IDS scanner. The bit mapped codes look like this B1085_01 B1085_02 etc...

Here is the PPT for B1085.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The pinpoint test for the retractor that you gave me above is for year 2009. My explorer is 2007. It's my understanding that years 2006-2008 are equivalent, so I'm doubting that 2009 tests will work for 2007.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 5 years ago.

Sorry about that - clicked the wrong year : ( Here is the 07 for 1085