Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford: 97 tbird 4.6 V8, runs rough for a day..coil pack..cyl

97 Tbird 4.6 V8, runs rough for a day or longer after it rains.

I gather that it can be water getting in the plug well (we changed plugs and put anti seize in the plugs but did not put dialectic grease to seal the plug wire boot in the hole: oops), or a coil pack.

Is there a particular plug well that is known to get water in it? Someone said check number 8 plug. If Ford cyl. numbering is like chevy and chrysler, right bank is odd, being 1,3,5,7 front to rear, and left banks is even, 2,4,6,8 front to rear.

Is a good way to check the coil pack to run it at night with the hood open while its missing out and look for sparks?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question.

Unfortunately they are all likely to gather water and or moisture during wet and or damp weather and the correct repair is to install dielectric grease on the boots to avoid spark leakage , usually the worse ones are the ones in the rear, #3 #4 and #7 #8 but if you install the grease on all ,you can usually resolve this issue, that being said, after market spark plugs do not perform well in the engine, if you havnt done so , consider installing OE Motorcraft spark plugs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the coil packs if one is arcing from moisture after rain, would running it in the dark show sparks? Or remove and look for carbon tracking?

Also do you put the dialectric grease just on the boots where they contact the plug well at the top of the boot, or also put some inside the boot on the plug terminal?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
You can do both and or eaither , the best way is to place a small dab right in the boot. If you have leakage, it will light up like a roman candle in the dark.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Additional question on 97 Tbird 4.6 V8, I used a timing light to check plug firing, they were all misfiring but one, pulled plugs, all were fouled, dry black deposits, these were Bosh platinum.

Apparently Bosh ddnt figure out the right heat range for the 4.6?

Regaridng putting only Motorcraft plugs in, these are 5 bucka apiece compared to other brands which are 3 bucks per,

I used to use only autolite plugs even in chevies, would these be as good?

I bought a manual which states to put only AWSF-22PP plugs in this engine, is that the current best plug?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately the Autolite dosnt perform well in this engine eaither . The best one are the Motorcraft plugs and they are good till 100,000 so they are worth the investment. Yes that is the correct and only plug.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician