chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

2004 ford explorer: leak..the drain lines for the sunroof

Customer Question

i also have the same leak w/ my 2004 ford explorer. any updates on this leak?? also, where are the drain lines for the sunroof??
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

can you fill me in a little on ware the leak is happening ,, ???

the power moon roof track has four drain hoses on it ,, on on each corner of the moon roof track ,,, there are rubber hoses that go from the track and lead to the floor pan to drain water outside the truck ,,

if one of the hoses is leaking or clogged up ,, you would get a water leak by the left sun visor ,, the right sun visor ,,, or above both rear seats ..

graphic
View Full Image

we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the leak is on the floor board of the passenger side of the vehicle only. i live in ct and it leaks only when it rains or snows. most of the rug is pulled and i can't find any obvious signs of windows or doors leaking they all look secure. where do the drain lines run down from the sunroof?? or do you think it could be something else??
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

most likely its something with the moon roof,,,

if you pull the right front door, and right rear door weatherstrips loose from the body door opening ,, so you can see between the headliner and the roof panel with a flash light ,, you should be able to check both right side drain hoses to see if they are secured to the moon roof track,, sometimes they fall off or come loose.. this is ware I would start..

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
its raining here again. tomorrow morning i will try that. if it works i'll accept, if not we'll talk again
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

Ok, sounds good, take your time and get back to me when you can ..

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
spent the morning getting to the sunroof. no leaks - dry as a bone. any other ideas??
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

open the moon roof , and look from the top of the roof down on the moon roof track ,, on each front corner you can see a hole ,, these are the two front drain holes ,, park the truck on a incline and poor a jug of water into the moon roof track and see if the water drains down the holes and out the bottom of the car,,, then park the car on a opposite incline and do the same for the rear drains .

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
pour the water in with the moon roof open??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ignore the last. poured the water in. no leaks.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

well its not the moon roof that is leaking,,,

is there an add on roof rack ???

open each door and there should be a rubber boot between the door and the body that the wires in the doors go through,, make sure each doors rubber boot from the door to the body is in place and not loose ..

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the roof rack is factory. not the boots or weather stripping.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

I cant think of any other spots ware the leak can come in ,,

take a look at the outside of the truck , on the right side lower side of the windshield, ware the trim panle meats the glass, is that panel ware the wipers arm come of ,, worped ,, not tight against the glass, it should seal water from getting down past the panel ... number 2 in the pic below

graphic
View Full Image

Chris