Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

Ford Taurus SE 99 Taurus, wont start/restart when engine

99 Taurus, won't start/restart when engine is hot, either from driving or sitting on asphalt. Engine code for vacuum failure on gas tank, but mechanic says that would not cause the starting problem. Suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You need to check the fuel pressure next time its hot and will not start, in the event it shows below specs then the source of your concern is the fuel pump is bad and starting to lock up when its hot and when the fuel is hot. This is the beginning sign of pump fatigue.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wondered about the fuel pump, but would that drag out over two years? The problem with checking the fuel pressure when it won't start is that I can't get to the mechanic until it has cooled. Had it towed once, but of course it started by the time I got there. It always starts when I get there. Would a problem with the pressure show up if the engine was just hot and still running? If it wasn't such a pricey repair I would have just changed it out by now.
Your options are to drive it alot on the hottest day and then go to the shop and explain to them to do a fuel test, then shut it off and hope it will not restart, if it starts then shut it off and try again. If you cant get it to fail then you will have to take a chance on it being the pump or get your own gauge and open the hood and check the fuel pressure. Yes one can fail over a long period of time.
Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.