Rmldaytona
Rmldaytona, Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified. 13 years Automotive Experience.
2499916

Ford Freestar Limited 2004 Ford Freestar van idles rough like

2004 Ford Freestar van idles rough like it was running out of gas. Has new plugs/wires. As the accelerator is depressed- engines runs very smooth
at higher rpm than idle. If the accelerator is held firm at say 2200, or even 3000 RPM after a few seconds the engine will rev- up on its own - maybe 200-300 RPM , and then gradually back down. I'm thinking oxygen concentrator since I had this same symptom in a 1994 Chevy pickup and replacing the O2 sensore remedied the problem. Sources on the web say it could be that, or a cam-shaft sensor, or a catalyst sensor. Any suggestions pointing in the correct direction ? Thank you ahead of time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Rmldaytona replied 6 years ago.

rmldaytona :

Hello. I would be glad to assist you. Which engine is in your vehicle? 3.9L or a 4.2L? If you don't know, what is the 8th digit of the VIN number. The VIN number can be located on the driver's door/jam and the dash by the bottom corner of the driver's side windshield.

Customer:

I am going to have to call my Step-daughter and ask her the engine size. Please hold for a couple of minutes.

rmldaytona :

Take your time

Customer:

It is a 3.9 L engine.

Customer:

I apologize . I said that I suspected the O2 "concentrator" - I meant O2 SENSOR!

Customer:

I wouldn't think that the engine would idle-up so smoothly if a "coil", or ignition module" device was at fault.

rmldaytona :

Thank you. The problem here is most likely a large vacuum leak causing a lean air mixture. Most common (very common) are the crankcase ventilation hoses to crack or collapse causing a vacuum leak. Also, the air intake tubes crack and cause this problem. The clamps on the air intake tubes must be tight and secured properly to seal correctly. There are 2 of the crankcase ventilation tubes one to each valve cover. Inspect them closely looking for any cracks or holes. Make sure they are on as well. There are also a number of other vacuum hoses that can rip/tear causing vacuum leaks. All vacuum hoses are of little expense to repair. Other possibilities are a leaking intake gasket. These are common to fail as well. Intake gaskets can be a significant expense $300 to $400 depending on shop rates. It is unlikely that the oxygen (O2) sensors are causing this problem. The best way to diagnose this problem is using a smoke machine. This is a machine that releases smoke. By hooking up a smoke machine to the air intake, you can easily pinpoint any vacuum leaks.

Customer:

OK - then, that's interesting - not what I suspected, but it makes sense. Your efforts are appreciated. /thank you so much, and I do "accept" your opinion.