Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

1999 ford expedition: a 6 bolt or 8 bolt flywheel..Windsor..4.6L

Customer Question

How can I tell if I have a 6 bolt or 8 bolt flywheel on my 1999 ford expedition with a Windsor 4.6L engine (VIN #6) , Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is Ron and I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The vin code #6 on your 1999 should be the 8 bolt flywheel.

graphic
View Full Image

I have also enclosed the Factory Ford part number.

9 - Windsor4C3Z6375AA$247.63
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Follow-up - when I inquire on-line or at local shops why am I being asked if the engine is a 6 or 8 bolt after they have already asked for the VIN # being 6
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

The vin code 6 is the winsor engine and it should be the 8 bolt flywheel, see if they can cross the Ford Factory number over.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I understand the the VIN code 6 is a Windsor Engine. Is the Ford Factory number the number on the engine? Mine is 9G938BA. Also, take a moment and search 1999 Ford Expedition 4.6L Engine VIN 6 and two configurations result. A 6 bolt and an 8 bolt. Why would that be if all 1999 Windsor engines are 8 bolts. Is there an easy way to view the flywheel?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
The part number I sent is for the windsor flywheel. You should be able to cross it over. The 8 bolt is the most common flywheel. I have search this for you. Have then cross the Ford factory flywheel part number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ron, how can I tell if I have the most common flywheel on my engine?
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
There is only one way, you will need to cross the Ford factory part nunmer over. There is only one part number for the Windsor. The Romeo has a different part number. The only other way if they can not cross it over is to remove the transmission. There is no inspection plate that is going to allow you to count them.

Romeo4W7Z-6375-AA$90.00
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is not helping me - by your own words the 8 bolt is the most common. Without pulling the engine is there any way to identify an 8 bolt engine vs a 6 bolt. I do not want to buy an engine only to find out I did not have the correct bolt pattern. The engine is a Windsor - I can see the sticker on the side with this number on it - 9G938BA. I know it is not a Romeo engine. Note when I search at Autozone for replacement flywheel both bolt configuration are available for the 4.6L Windsor engine in a 1999 Ford Expedition.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry, I have no more information to help you. The part number is the part number. I will relist the question for you in hopes someone can get you what you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome, If you can get the part number crossed over you will be fine. If not, I would consider a OE factory part. The windsor only has one part number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I see the part number on the flywheel? I have not gotten any other response to my question - did you re-list the question?

Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.

Your question has been re-listed and you will need to pull the trans to see the part number.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just does not make sense that the only way to tell which bolt pattern I have is by reading a part number on the flywheel. If I could see the flywheel I would just count the bolts. There are codes on the engine and transmission that should be able tell which model is installed in my vehicle. Hoping to get my question relisted, Thanks.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 years ago.
The question has been re-listed as of yesteryay, please do not respond back to me as it locks the question to me. If someone has a different answer they will respond.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure it was re-listed? How long will it take to get a response?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Different tech here. The only way to know is by actually seeing it with the engine or transmission removed. You cant see the amount of bolts or the flexplate part number without disassembly. The vehicle is to old to run through ford bill of materials to see which it came with. You cant base it on the engine being romeo or windsor nor the vin# because it can have either 6 or 8 bolt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.