Bob
Bob, Ford Technician
Experience:  23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair

How do I remove the hubs on a 1995 F-150 to replace the brake rotors?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Bob replied 3 years ago.

Bob :

Hello, this is Bob. I will do my best to assist you.

Customer:

Hi Bob this is Bill

Bob :

Do you have auto locking hubs?

Bob :

Hi Bill

Customer:

no manual locking hubs

Bob :

have you removed the lock out cap yet?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

The locking ring looks like it needs a 6 pronged 3" socket but I don't know where to find one

Bob :

So you need to remove the bearing retainer nut correct?

Customer:

I think it is called the lock nut that needs to be removed and take off the hub as a complete unit to get to the rotor

Bob :

This is the common tool to remove the bearing retainer nuts.

Bob :

It is not 3'' and has 4 prongs not six.

Bob :

it doesn't look like this does it?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

this is what the hub looks like with the cap removed. The ring has six slots, but would a four prong work?

Customer:

I rented a universal socket set from Advanced Auto and had the four prong socket in there but it seemed to be too small.

Bob :

Good photo. If you look at the photo I sent you will see that he is removing a snap ring from the rotor, you should have the same snap ring on your hub. It is round and fits in a grove in the rotor.

Bob :

You will need a sharp pick or small thin bladed screw driver to remove it from the grove.

Bob :

Once the snap ring is out the lockout assembly pulls out then you remove the retainer nut.

Bob :

Some models also have a snap ring on the axle shaft too.

Customer:

so the snap ring and the retainer nut needs to be removed to take off the hub or just the snap ring

Bob :

The retainer nut holds the bearings and rotor on. Do you only need to remove the lockout hub?

Customer:

I need to remove the lockout hub to replace the rotor

Bob :

Then you need to remove the snap ring and lockout hub then you remove the bearing retainer nut with a tool like the one in the first photo I sent.

Customer:

Ok I understand! Thanks Bob!

Bob :

Were you able to get the snap ring uot?

Bob :

Were you able to get the snap ring out?

Customer:

My buddy and I will have to work on it this weekend. I needed clarification on what needed to be removed

Bob :

Here is another image. You may have to press the hub in while prying the snap ring out. The snap ring can fight you when trying to remove it.

Bob :

If you need more assistance on this issue please reply back.

Customer:

ok great! thanks

Bob :

Your welcome.

Bob, Ford Technician
Experience: 23 years @ Ford, 1997 Ford Master Technician Specializing in Engine,Transmission & Electrical Repair