davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

1998 F150 4x4 automatic transmission gear shift sloppy. It

1998 F150 4x4 automatic transmission gear shift sloppy. It quit starting in park position. It coasts in park position. tried adjusting cable. did not work. Transmission fluid ok. Transmission seems ok.

davehop :

Hello and welcome to JA, at the base of the steering column where the shift cable connects is a bracket, this is often the area where 2 torx bolts come loose and cause sloppiness in the shifter, inspect this by lying on your back under the steering wheel, use a flashlight to look up to the area just under the instrument cluster, the shift cable comes in from the drivers side, above the e-brake pedal and goes to the steering column, reach up and see if you can jiggle the bracket that the shift cable connects to, or operate the shifter to see the looseness. Tighten the 2 torx bolts, size is T30, and then recheck.

Customer:

thanks. will try and check back.

davehop :

ok

Customer:

checked the two torx bolts. they are tight. When I put the transmission into park, I have reverse. park is no longer there. Engine will start in the neutral position. I take it out on the highway and transmission seems fine. Other than no park position. I noticed the one rubber cushion came out of the housing on the shift rod. I turned it around and put it back in.

Customer:

It is like the park position just disappeared. Are there other things beside physical adjustment that it could be? thank you

davehop :

the shift tube itslef on the steering column can also become loose, and again due to the T30 bolts that secure it to the colun, other than that nothing else will give you all the gear positions except park, at least nothing internally in the trans, can you turn off the truck and remove the key?

Customer:

yes I can turn the truck off and remove the key. I believe you are right as far as the shift tube, because the rubber under the housing that the T30 bolts hold the tube to the steering column with slid out. Now I have to figure out how to get to the farthest housing under the instrument panel. thank you very much.

first remove the shift indicator from the steering column so you dont break it, then just remove the panel below the column, and the four 13mm nuts that hold the column up, it will drop low enough that you can get in there and remove and replace the shift tube bushings.