Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Mercury Mountaineer: warning lights..the ABS and ADVTRAC lights come

Customer Question

Hi. Can you help? We own a 2006 Ford Mercury Mountaineer and we have a problem with the warning lights. After a couple of minutes of driving the car we hear four beeps and the ABS and ADVTRAC lights come on. This doesn't affect the running of the car but is a fault we would like to fix.
Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

The most common fault that sets both the ABS light and ADVTRAC light is a failing wheel speed sensor. Your vehicle has one at each wheel, but no one can tell you which one without reading the onboard computer for stored fault codes. In order to know which one is at fault you will have to have a garage read the ABS control module for stored fault codes, which will tell you which wheel speed sensor is not reading correctly. At that point, you can decide if this is something within your skill level to replace or to have a shop do the work.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. We are located in Rochester in Kent. Do I need to take the car to a main Ford dealer or are there any local electrical experts that can diagnose the problem? Obviously worried that a main dealer might be expensive? I assume that I need someone that has the software to link into the ECU? Is it worth trying to find a local company or is it best just to go directly to Ford? I appreciate your help.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

for at least the diagnostics, I would stick with your local Ford dealer. Once you have it diagnosed, then take to your local garage for the repair.

The initial diagnostics will run 1 hour labor, and that will be anywhere you go for the diagnostics, but as I said, stay with your Ford dealer for this. They understand their systems better than independent garages and you will get an accurate diagnosis the first time.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a
paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, can you provide some further help? (happy to pay extra if it can be resolved properly). I contacted a couple of Ford dealers and they said they were unable to diagnose the car as it is an Amercian model! I have had the car diagnosed privately and it is showing fault codes C2507 and C00F8. Do you know what these mean? Thanks.