Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

1999 lincoln town car: fuses..drivers side..door locks..Can anybody

Customer Question

1999 lincoln town car,Window is stuck down,Drivers window was down and all the other windows was working,So i ordered a new switch which is not here yet,I have put a new window motor in the same window last year.Problem i have now a guy tried to get my window to come up until my switch came,But he made matters worst,Now no windows work,And all the fuses are good,And on the drivers side switch now the auto door locks won't work either,Now when my switch does come i think i got more problems then just a switch now,Can anybody help with this one,THANKS
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

If he was jumping wires at the drivers power window switch connector then he might have shorted the drivers door module out which controls the locks and the drivers window motor. The switch wires for the drivers window go directly to the module, not the motor. The motor wires come from the module. The module controls the motor based on inputs from the switch, it is not hard wired. Being that the module is solid state the only way to test it is with a scanner that can communicate with the module either a Ford NGS or a Ford IDS scanner. There is really no other way to verify if he damaged the module or not. If all the fuses are good in the interior fuse panel and the underhood fuse panel then I would suspect the module but cannot guarantee it.

If you want to get the window up for now you would need to disconnect the module and apply power and ground to the yellow and white/black wires respectively, If the window tries to go down then reverse polarity on the two wires to raise the window.

This all needs to be done with the drivers door module completely disconnected.

The module is located in the drivers door. The drivers door panel needs to be removed to access the module.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't try that untilo tomorrow,But if it is the module how much does one of them cost around about.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
I don't have access to the Ford parts database at this time. I would not be able to get a price until monday.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>i will let you know</p>
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok it's not the module,He said he check all the fuses,But he did not check the ones under the hood,I replace the fuse and now everything is working but the drivers window ,It's still stuck down,I need to know how to get it up until my switch comes,How do i hot wire it or whatever i have to do to get it up
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

I already explained that in my previous post. I will paste it again.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't know if i am giving the right source of power for the window to go up .But it's not going up
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

If you are on the yellow and the white/black wires and tried reversing continuity then the motor is probably the original problem. power on one and ground on the other, then flip it the other way if still no good then the motor is bad or one of the wires is open. If its a 99 1/2 it might have a blue wire instead of the white/black. With the door panel off you should be able to see the wire colors going to the motor.

graphic
View Full Image

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I wanted answers to put my window up,I ask how to do it,And i was just told to run power to it,Then i was told to unhook the module and run power to it.I said i tried and was never told how to run the power to it, And i told it was probaly the motor so i ordered a motor,But i never got the window up, But i said it was the swich,But i was lead to buy a motor,But when the switch came today i put it in and the window went right up,So now i got to find out if i can send the window motor back/
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 6 years ago.

All I said was to run power and ground to the two wires going to the motor from the module with the module unplugged and if it did not work then to reverse the polarity. If the motor is good then it should of went right up. As far as how to do it, I also explained that, giving you the wire colors to hook up to. I did not know you needed more info on where to get power and ground from (i.e.the battery). If the motor works with the new switch then power and ground was not applied to the wires as I described. I did say that the motor was bad if power and ground was run directly to the motor as directed and it did not work then it has to be bad unless it was hooked up other than I directed.