Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

Ford Windstarr 2000 Windstar, 3.8L engine, removal and replacement

2000 Windstar, 3.8L engine, removal and replacement of harmonic balancer,with engine in vehicle.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  3. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
  4. Remove the passengers side front wheel.
    NOTE The vibration damper and crankshaft pulley are a balanced at the factory as a unit and must be installed in the same relative position as before removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Note the position of the pulley to the balancer, as they must be reinstalled in the same relative position

5. Matchmark the crankshaft pulley and damper for installation reference.
  6. Remove the crankshaft pulley.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the crankshaft pulley retaining bolts

7. Remove the crankshaft damper retaining bolt and washer.
    NOTE It is important to use the proper tools to remove and install the crankshaft damper. Improper removal or installation could damage the damper and cause serious engine damage.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the crankshaft damper center bolt

8. Remove the damper from the crankshaft by using a Crankshaft Damper Remover (T58P-63-16-D) or equivalent.
    NOTE Take care when removing the damper to not damage the crankshaft snout, engine front cover or crankshaft position sensor.
  9. Remove the damper from the engine.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the damper carefully as to not damage the crankshaft position sensor tone wheel (arrow)

10. Remove the crankshaft front seal.

To install:

1. Inspect the engine front cover for damage which may cause the new crankshaft front seal to fail. Service or replace components as necessary.
  2. Lubricate the crankshaft oil seal lip with engine oil and install using a seal driver.
  3. Lubricate the damper sealing surface with engine oil.
  4. Apply silicone sealer to the keyway of the damper.
  5. Install the damper using a Crankshaft Damper Replacer (T82L-6316-A) or equivalent.
  6. Install the damper retaining bolt and washer. Tighten the bolt to 93-121 ft. lbs (125-165 Nm) on 3.0L engine and 103-132 ft. lbs. (140-180 Nm) on 3.8L engine.
  7. Align and install the crankshaft pulley. Tighten bolts to 30-44 ft. lbs. (40-60 Nm) on 3.0L engine and 19-28 ft. lbs. (26-38 Nm).
  8. Install the front wheel.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Install accessory drive belt.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.
  12. Start the engine and check for oil leaks.
  13. Road test the vehicle and check for abnormal vibration.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Eric: On the model I have, the pully/damper assembly are one unit with a single bolt in the center.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

it still comes off from through the wheel well opening and you still need to use a harmonic balancer puller as shown in the last photo to pull it off the crankshaft.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Eric: Is the center bolt standard ( counter clockwise for removal) or a left hand thread (clockwise for removal) ?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

It is standard- counterclockwise to remove. it is on at 132 ft lbs, plus if it has been on for awhile, there is corrosion between the threads and will make it an effective torque of about 180-200 ft lbs, so it does require some force to loosen it if you dont have an impact gun.

soak it with PB Blast and let it soak for about 30 minutes, and then use a breaker bar to bust it loose
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician