NicksSticks
NicksSticks, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master, Including Ford Diesel Master

2000 taurus: fuel gauge..fuel pump, gauges, sensor module..stays

Customer Question

2000 taurus flex fuel 3.0 ohv fuel gauge not working right have changed the fuel pump, gauges, sensor module and it still not working right creeps to full and stays there.
Category: Ford
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.
Hi, this should be simple to diagnose. Disconnect the connector to the fuel pump, and see if the fuel gage goes to empty and stays there, if it does, then out of the 4 wires to the fuel pump (by the tank) use a paper clip and jump the 2 out of four SMALLEST in thickness wires, and see if the gage now reads full with the key on. If both are true, there is a problem with the sending unit in your fuel tank with the key on. If neither are true, your looking at a bad gauge, especially if it creeps up while disconnected. gage on this car should be able to be replaced by itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
from ford i have replaced fuel pump, fuel pump sending unit, gauge cluster assebleby, and the fuel gauge module
Has the problem been exactly the same with all parts replacements, or did it happen only after the fuel pump sending unit was replaced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is the same no change with new parts fuel gauge still creeps to full
Thank you for the information, and your patience. Seems like you have basically replaced the entire system other than the wiring. Leaving that, and same symptoms, you will have a problem with the wiring itself from the fuel pump to the cluster, as long as when the fuel sender was replaced, was not wired incorrectly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wiring is factory i suspect a resistence value in the anti slosh module

Hi, sorry, but do not have access to a wiring diagram to further help, will opt out and another expert will be with you shortly. Still strongly recommend disconnecting the connector to the fuel pump to see if tank goes empty then, jumping the two smaller wires of the harness side (not the side that goes to the fuel pump) with a paper clip to see if fuel tank reads full, this will verify all wiring, cluster, and modules used are okay.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will try idea thank you from seriosly flustated in tulsa,ok
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my email is XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX email in couple days please and i will see if i can fix problem
Hi, sorry no emails here, will leave link open, or send you a message to see whats going on thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok