Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Spark Plug problem in 2009 Ford F150

Spark Plug problem in 2009 Ford F150
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall

Unsure of the question. Are you having problems removing or just gathering info? or something else? LMk thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A mechanic told me Spark Plugs difficult to remove because of carbon build up, if left for extended period of time.
Just gathering info.
I do not take this Ford to that mechanic, I have it serviced at Ford Dealer.
The mechanic I spoke to services my other autos.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Let me get the info and get back with you in a few minutes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I wish i could tell you what Ford did to correct the problem but in the 09 ttrucks, this is no longer a problem. However.. not many 09 5.4 engines are due for plugs, I have only done 1-2 recently with no problems.
Now.. the mechanic is 100% correct that ther was/is an issue with plu removal. Not all, but some will run into this. It really only affected the 5.4 engine up to just shy of 2008. 2009 this is not a reported problem.

I have put the TSB below for the issuse up to 2007 for your reference. It does explain what to do IF one becomes tight etc

TSB 08-7-6

04/14/08

SPARK PLUG REMOVAL INSTRUCTIONS - 4.6L
3V/5.4L 3V16.8L 3V FORD:
2005-2008 Mustang
2004-2008 F-150
2005-2008 Expedition, F-Super Duty
2006-2008 Explorer,
F-53 Motorhome Chassis
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac LINCOLN:
2005-2008 Navigator
2006-2008 Mark LT MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 08-1-9 to update Vehicle Applications, Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE
Some 2004-2008 F-150, 2006-2008 Mark LT, 2005-2008 F-Super Duty, Expedition, and Navigator, with 5.4L 3-V engine; 2005-2008 Mustang, 2006-2008 Explorer, Mountaineer, and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac with 4.6L 3-V engine; 2005-2008 F-Super Duty, 2006-2008 and F-Stripped Chassis, with 6.8L 3-V engine may experience difficulty with spark plug removal. This may cause damage to the spark plug and leave part of the spark plug in the cylinder head. Affected engine build dates are as follows: 5.4L 3-V and 6.8L 3-V before 10/9/07, 4.6L 3-V before 11/30/07. ACTION
Refer to the following Service Procedure for techniques to remove the spark plugs and extract broken spark plugs.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

The engine build date can be read on the left hand cam cover information sticker.

To remove spark plugs without damage, it is necessary to adhere exactly to this procedure before removal is attempted.

CAUTION DO NOT REMOVE PLUGS WHEN THE ENGINE IS WARM OR HOT. THE ENGINE MUST BE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE WHEN PERFORMING SPARK PLUG SERVICE. REMOVING THE SPARK PLUGS FROM A WARM/HOT ENGINE INCREASES THE CHANCE THE THREADS COULD BE DAMAGED.

Spark Plug Removal Procedure

1. Remove the coil-on-plug assemblies and thoroughly blow out the spark plug wells and surrounding valve cover area with compressed air.
2. Back out the spark plugs no more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. Using Motorcraft(R) Carburetor Tune-Up Cleaner, fill the spark plug well just above where the jamb nut hex sits (1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon). A minimum period of 15 minutes of soak time is required. The cleaner will wick down to the ground electrode shield and soften the carbon deposits in this time. DO NOT WORK the spark plug back and forth at this point.
NOTE COMPLETELY REVIEW THE PRODUCT LABEL FOR THE MOTORCRAFT CARBURETOR TUNE-UP CLEANER PRODUCT - USE AT ROOM TEMPERATURE AND SHAKE WELL. CAUTION EXCESSIVE MOTORCRAFT(R) CARBURETOR TUNE-UP CLEANER, OR REPEATING THE PROCESS SEVERAL TIMES WITH TOO MUCH CLEANER FLUID, COULD INTRODUCE ENOUGH LIQUID VOLUME TO HYDRO-LOCK THE ENGINE. CAUTION DO NOT USE AIR OR POWER TOOLS FOR SPARK PLUG REMOVAL. SPARK PLUGS MUST ONLY BE REMOVED WITH HAND TOOLS.
3. Tighten, and then loosen the spark plug, working the plug back and forth. Some screeching and high effort may be noticed. The expected removal torque is about 33 lb-ft (45 N.m). Repeat the back and forth turning as needed until turning effort is reduced, and remove the spark plugs.

NOTE NEW PLUGS SHOULD BE INSTALLED USING A FILM COATING OF MOTORCRAFT HIGH TEMPERATURE NICKEL ANTI-SEIZE LUBRICANT ON THE GROUND ELECTRODE SHIELD. DO NOT COAT THE ELECTRODE STRAP. (Figure 1)

Separated/Broken Spark Plug Removal

If the spark plug separates after following the Spark Plug Removal Procedure, it will fail in one of three modes. Refer to the appropriate removal procedure as required.

a. Mode 1: The ground electrode shield is left behind as an empty shell. (Figure 2)

b. Mode 2: The entire porcelain insulator and ground electrode shield remains in the cylinder head. (Figure 3)
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience: 35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist