davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

2003 focus: wont start..fuel pump..cylinder..the injectors actuating

2003 focus 2.0l won't start, I've replaced the fuel pump, compression check (120psi in each cylinder), has spark, new plugs gapped @ .55, noid tested each injector and used a screwdriver to listen to the injectors actuating. What more could possibly keep it from starting? If a cam position sensor fails would it lose ignition spark or not?
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 5 years ago.

davehop :

Hello and welcome to JA, a cam sensor will not cause a no start. Do you know how much fuel pressure you have?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

30 to 50

davehop :

Does the engine sound like it is cranking easier than before, like possibly the timing belt jumped?

Customer:

It doesn't seem like. The whole thing got started when the car died while driving on an empty tank. After adding gas it would start back up which made me believe the pump was weak. On the compression test I did after 2 revolutions each cylinder built up 120psi, so i wouldn't think it jumped time. Would it?

Customer:

excuse me *wouldn't start back up

davehop :

can you redo the compression test, this time unplug the coil, and keep the gas pedal floored for 6 seconds while you are cranking it over, for each cylinder.

Customer:

It'll be a while before I can do that I'm out of town. When I did it the first time I had all the plugs out and the fuel pump fuse out and pressed the gas pedal to the floor and cranked it over to unload fuel before I did the compression test.

davehop :

ok, that compression seems a bit low, so how long did you crank it over for to obtain those readings?

davehop :

6 seconds is about normal per cylinder

Customer:

only for 2 revolutions per cylinder

davehop :

we need to turn the engine over for a minimum of 6 to 8 seconds for a proper reading.

Customer:

Ok I'll do that when I get back. What is considered low psi?

davehop :

120 is low, you should have around 150 psi

Customer:

ok if still reads low add a tsp of oil to each to test rings then if not better it may have just timing then?

Customer:

*jumped

davehop :

yup you got it

Customer:

Ok Thank you