Thomas
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE
3090273

98 Ford Expedition: 227,000 miles..transmission problems..trans fluid

'98 Ford Expedition with 227,000 miles. Never had any transmission problems. Changed trans fluid regularly. It started this week. With the shifter in drive, whenever you stop and then start to take off again, the engine will rev up to around 2,000 RPM, then it engages the transmission. After you get going, everything shifts just fine. No problems slowing down. It seems to do this just at take off. While moving at 30MPH you can accelerate and it seems to accelerate just fine. Could this be the clutch?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you today. It sounds like your transmission is going to need a overhaul. I think the friction discs inside it are slipping. Once they start slipping a overhaul is the only good fix. You could put a qt of Lucus trans additive in it to make it work longer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How can you be so quick to say that is the answer? What about a shift solenoid or the torque converter? How can I try and narrow down the exact cause?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
If you had a bad shift solenoid or anything electrical you would have a flashing overdrive light and a check engine light on. A bad torque converter won't usually cause the problem you have . A trans slip is caused by low fluid pressure and or worn friction discs. Either way once slippage has occurred a overhaul is necessary to fix it. It circulates friction material thruout the transmission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So why does it not slip after you get going? It works fine once you get out of first gear and are going down the road. You can even make it downshift to pass someone and it doesn't hesitate.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like your 1st gear friction plates are going out, but you will not find a trans shop that will suggest going into a trans that 227k miles on it without completely overhauling it.
Thomas, Ford Mechanic
Experience: 15 years Ford experience. Gas and Diesel certified. by Ford and ASE