Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,

1998 Ford Contour: The fan light stays..possible cause

The fan light stays on on my 1998 Ford Contour. What do I check for the possible cause and how do I di it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

This can be caused by a number of things very often a it is a faulty thermostat or faulty water pump , using an infrared temperature go on checked to see if the engine is actually overheating are what temperature the engine is running at Check for the radiator and heater hoses to be relatively cool though the engine is showing to be so hot. If the temperature and the radiator and heater hoses are obviously of different temperatures, remove and replace the water pump

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Fans do not seem to be coming on. Would a faulty water pump also cause this, or is it something else?

The most common problem with this vehicle it is a faulty water pump but of course it could be caused by a wiring problem also that's why we need to do some sort of testing Check fuse F49 60 amp of the Battery Junction Box to verify it is not blown, missing, or poorly connected in its fuse holder. Remove the engine cooling fan relay from its holder and verify that terminal 3 or 5 of the relay has battery power to it with the ignition switch off. This circuit is supplied from the F49 fuse. With the ignition switch turned to the Run position, verify that terminal 1 or 2 of the relay also indicates battery power. If the power supply terminals of the relay check to be ok, ground the Black/Blue (BK/BU) wire running between the cooling fan relay and Powertrain Control Module pin 68. This should cause the relay to activate and send power out to the engine cooling fan motors by way of the cooling fan resistor