Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

lockout button on my 1994 t-bird lx shifter (auto trans) has broken

the lockout button on my 1994 t-bird lx shifter (auto trans) has broken, is there any way to by-pass that system? any sugestions short of complete replace?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What part are you referring to?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the button on the shift lever that you press to shift out of "park", or you press to go from drive to reverse and must be released to get the key out. The only thing I,ve done is to put a rubber band around it to keep it in place, otherwise it falls on the floor. my question is ; is there a way to by-pass this system? Thanks for your response
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. If the shifter knob is broken you will have to replace the shifter assembly, If you need replacement instructions let me know and I will send them to you.

Below are the shift interlock removal instructions. Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks.

Shift Interlock Cable

Removal and Installation

1. Remove console.
  2. Remove LH lower instrument panel trim and lower steering column shroud (3530).
  3. Remove interlock cable retaining screw and clip, disconnect ignition/shifter interlock cable from lever cam.
  4. Remove steering column retaining nuts and lower steering column tube (3514) to floor. Disconnect electrical connector at interlock solenoid.
  5. Remove ignition/shifter interlock cable retaining screws from steering column tube.
  6. Guide ignition/shifter interlock cable out from under floor carpet (13000).
  7. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten steering column retaining nuts to 20-33 Nm (15-24 lb-ft). Tighten the ignition/shifter interlock cable retaining screws at the steering column tube to 1.4-2.0 Nm (12-18 lb-in), and at shift control selector lever and housing to 2.8-4.0 Nm (25-35 lb-in).
  8. Test for proper operation. The ignition key should only be removable with the transmission range selector lever in PARK. The transmission range selector shifter should be locked in PARK with the key removed. The transmission range selector should be locked in the PARK position with the ignition switch in the RUN position and should release when the brake pedal is applied.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The floor console removal instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks.

Console, Floor Removal Instructions Click Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
let me get this stright. The only thing wrong is the button FOR the inter lock system, not the cable or any electrical connections, so, in order to by-pass the system, I must remove ALL parts you suggested? seems to me I may as well find a shift lever with a button that's good and just replace that, what do you think?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The easiest repair would most likely be to replace the shifter, the instructions are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Shift Knob and Bezel Replacement Instructions Click Here

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well, now I can take the steering colum,apart and I can take the console apart, my question remains, is there ANY way to by-pass the system, not repair it, yes or no will will answer my question
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank-you, you've answered my question it's NO.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome and thank you very much!