Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

1999 ford windstar: 2nd when accelerating..faster..Fluid level..burnt

1999 ford windstar shifts hard from 1rst to 2nd when accelerating at a faster speed. If slow accelerating shifts fine. Fluid level is good and clean smells like normal trans fluid not burnt. Just bought van yesterday.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Did it shift like this when you test drove the van?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The check engine light isn't on. I don't have a license so I was the passenger when the seller took me out for the test drive. He drove it normal i would say and it was fine. My girlfriend drives the van the tends to be a little heaver on gas when she takes off. Not flooring it or anything. This is the only gear it does it inbetween. I though possibly the trans mount was a little worn out also. The van has 114k on it also
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

A transmission mount will cause you to feel a lurch when you put in drive or reverse from park, as well as feel a lurch when it shifts thru any gear, so this is not going to be a transmission mount based upon your description.

The likely problem is the 1-2 shift solenoid inside the transmission. this sets the shift pattern for 1-2 gear shifting and will cause either hard shifting or a delayed shifting. The solenoid is accessed from the transmission pan as it is located in the valve body. Parts and labor to replace it will run about $300-400
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so
. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Becuase the van has 114k on it in your professional opinion do you think it will need a transmission soon? or do you think by replacing the shift solenoid it will solve the problem? I'm a mechanic but not a transmission specialist so I'm sure I can change the solenoid myself. Just wanted to know if these symptoms show any concern for the transmission to be failing on me completly any time soon?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

with just a hard shift between 1-2, I dont see any reason for concern that transmission is going to need to be replaced anytime soon. If it were a hard up and down shift in every gear, or also had slippage at highway speeds or after warming up, then I would say you would need a new transmission.

Replacing the shift solenoid should take care of the problem. their failing is fairly common on this transmission
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there seperate solenoids for each gear shift? And do I have to purchase it from the dealer?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

yes, there are separate solenoids for each. they are dealer items only. I believe they run around $90 each
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay great thx