Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

Ford Escape I saw your post on a Dash Light Adjustment for

Customer Question

I saw your post on a "Dash Light Adjustment" for a Ford Escape on 11/24/10. I have a 2010 Ford Escape and in November 2010 began noticing that the dash lights would dim and brighten at random times. There seems to be no consistency on when this occurs and or predictability of when it will occur. I have brought it to my local Ford service shop and they cannot figure it out. The lights should be (and were when I first purchased it) a bright blue (which I like very much) and when dim are a dull green color. When dim it is almost difficult to see, especially at night. I am also concerned that the headlights are dimming when this dashboard dimming occurs as well. Hard to tell for sure when I am driving at night, but there seems to be a correlation. I have done some searching online and see that there are many posts with similar questions/complaints about the Escape (many different years) and there does not seem to be a solution to this problem. Will your response for the post on 11/24/10 work for my situation? Do you have any other suggestions?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Does the dash dimming issue only occur with the headlights set in the auto position, or when commanding the headlights on with switch which also dims the headlights?

When your driving at night ( night being a black sky, not dawn or dusk or sunset) do the dash lights change light intensity?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not leave the headlight switch in the auto position. I turn them on after I start the car and off before I shut off the car. The dimming occurs while driving with the lights in the on position, have not driven with the lights in the auto position so I am not sure if it would be the same or not. I have noticed the change in the light intensity when turning the the light switch. Used this as an example for the service technitian so that he could see the difference in the light intensity while trying to solve the problem.

The light dimming occurs at all times of the day, not just at night. I have an hour commute to/from work every day. I am driving to work in the morning (after sunrise) and home after dark and have noticed it at both times. I have also noticed it during the afternoon hours when driving on my days off from work. Does not appear to be due to changes in light outside in the varying hours of the day.

Is the instrument cluster the only component changing light intensity or are the radio and climate control also doing this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The lights on the radio and the climate control also appear to dim when the dashboard lights dim. Not as noticeable as my direct line-of-view is towards the dashboard while I am driving.

If this below TSB was performed and not a fix for this concern,

graphic
View Full Image

then diagnostics need to be performed to see if the dimmer switch is faulty or to see if the FET in the SJB is faulty meaning the SJB needs to be replaced. You can see a little bit about what I am talking about and an understanding on how it works and how they will diagnose it using the download HERE.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.