Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

99 Ford F350: Runs fine..heater fan..relays in the dash clicking

I have another problem with my 99 Ford F350 diesel 7.3 truck. Runs fine, the problem is when I turn it off and the key is removed, the heater fan motor still runs if it is turned on, shut the heater off, it stops. After the key is pulled out, you can hear relays in the dash clicking and chattering for about two to three minutes. Also, the airbag lite comes on with a beeping tone. Do you have any suggestions where to start troubleshooting??? This kills the batteries in a day!!!! Also, no codes come up on the scan tool. Please help. Craig<br /><br />IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP ME OR SHOULD IZ GO ELSEWHERE?<br />
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Step one is to remove the fuse panel and the GEM module attached to the back of the fuse panel which is in front of your left knee. Now disassemble them to see if there is signs of moisture like arc marks or rust on the circuits board. Now with them removed look at the metal components in the dash in this area to see if there are signs of ANY rust. If any sign of water presence now or i n the past is seen then both parts and the windshield need to be replaced.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, so, thanks for the info. You were correct, the fuse box is all corroded on the inside but the gem box is nice and clean. Do I still need to replace the gem box? Thanks for your help.
You may be able to just get by with a new CJB but if concerns persist expect a new GEM needed as well. Dont forget to remove the windshield and reseal it or replace it.