Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

Ford F150 Pickup My truck is leaking anti-freeze from the

My truck is leaking anti-freeze from the upper left side of the engine. Not sure what to call the area since I know nothing about engines. Not coming from a hose. Any ideas?

what size engine is in your F150?

Is the leak towards the front or rear on the left side of the engine? And when you say the left side, are you referring to the driver's or passenger's side of the engine?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the leak is toward the front on the passenger's side of the truck, which is a 1995. Sorry about that. I have no idea on the size of the engine and the truck is in a parking lot 20 miles from me. Can you get it from the vin number?

yes, I just need the 8th digit of the VIN code
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the letter "N"

ok, you have the 5.0L v8 engine in yours.

there are a couple of common areas that can leak. the thermostat housing and the heater hose connection coming of the intake manifold;

graphic

check both places to see which is leaking. If you cant tell for sure, then you need to have a cooling system pressure test done so that the leak can be pinpointed.

As to repair, if the thermostat housing gasket is leaking, then about $90 parts and labor. If the heater hose connection is leaking, then about $140 parts and labor to replace it
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
turns out it is some sort of "plug", that was located behind a plate bewtween the hose connector and the thermostat housing. It looks like maybe some sort of plug that has rusted/dissolved. I have no idea what it may be.

that would be a freeze plug for the engine block. they are designed to pop out if the coolant in engine block freezes to prevent damage to the block. the rust out over time. replacement one should be about $5 for the part and 1 hour labor