George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Ford ranger: rv? what years..4x4..2wd

can you tow a ford ranger behind an rv? what years and whether 4x4 or 2wd and auto or manual transmission? I can't seem to find the info on line but would be happy to do my own research if you can point the way. thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

For your 2001 Ranger if you had 2WD and a manual transmission you could tow as is, the automatic required a driveline disconnect to keep the transmission from being driven by the rear wheels.

The 4WD is a lot more costly, you would need disconnects for both the front and rear driveshafts.

One site that helps with this information is below

Click here

Another is found here (Click)

Let me know what I can do to help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
you did not address the speed limits on the ranger(55mph). why the limit and how do I get around them? thanks
Expert:  George H. replied 5 years ago.

The limits are imposed by Ford legal to limit their liability. You want to be sure the transmission stays lubricated by operating the truck for at least five minutes each day but you do understand that you will need to install driveline disconnects on BOTH the front and rear drive shafts for your four wheel drive truck?