Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2005 F350 Super Duty: you replace the rear axle seal..special tools

How do you replace the rear axle seal on my 2005 F350 Super Duty? Are there any special tools that I may need?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

The seal is located in the wheel hub and the hub has to be removed to replace it. You will need a hub socket that is listed in the enclosed instructions, If you do not have the socket you can very likely rent it at your local part store.I have enclosed instructions for this repair.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any special way to replace the seal itself? Does the seal need to be pressed into place?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
No the seal is very basic, the seal is removed by prying it out with a long flat pry bar and then to install you gently tap it back in with a small hammer , it a bit easier if you have a seal driver but not necessary.