Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2005 ford focus: The driver door..moves freely..without opening

The driver door on a 2005 ford focus. the handle moves freely without opening the door. what do I need to replace. Nothing is connecting the rod to the inside of the handle.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You need to remove the interior door trim panel, shown here. Then inspect the handle rods/cable attached to the latch to see if they have just come off or to see if the handle is at fault, Use the latch removal steps shown here for a view of what it looks like inside.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Is there a clip that goes from the rod to the handle
Are you referring to the interior handle or the exterior handle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the interior handle
The interior handle uses a cable from the handle the latch. So the cable can be broken or the holders for each end of the cable housing can be broken or detached. You need to remove the handle and inspect it and work it in hand and see if it moves the cable to the latch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
there is no cable. Inside there is a rod and the black handle. there is nothing attached to the handle on the inside of it. There is nothing in the bottom of the door either. I have no idea what to replace. It looks like something might of went from this rod to the inside of this handle but I do not know what.

Are you sure there is no cable connected to the interior door handle Are you sure I was given the correct year and model vehicle. Ford shows there is a cable connected to the handle and latch , see below.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is no cable. I have a four door 2005 ford focus.
There is a cable for the inside door handle. This is the outside door handle but the inside of this handle.

Okay I understand now, earlier you said it was the the interior handle faulty when I asked which was non operational.

here is a picture from a recent file I sent you showing the door latch rod attached to the latch which goes to the exterior door handle.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The rod has nothing attached to it. What is broken and what should I buy.
If the rod is broken then you just need to go to your local dealer and buy the rod. If its broken away from the exterior handle then a new exterior handle is what you need to buy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so there is nothing that conects the rod to the handle. The rod is not broken. But it is not connected to the handle.
ON the back of the exterior handle is the connection for the rod and if its not connected anymore then the handle is broken.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does the handle only have 1 bolt to take it apart.
Download the directions HERE
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a picture that shows how the rod is attached to the exterior door handle. I just received the door handles yesterday in the mail. Thanks again
Ford does not have a picture of it, there will either be connected via a rod with a hook or via a rod with a threaded in and the handle has a clip which locks onto it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well it is back to the drawing board. The exterior handle that is on the car matches the new handle. Nothing is broken. There has got to be something that clips on the handle to open the door. I do not no what to do. I am spending money and so far nothing is working right.
Look at the back side of the exterior handle from inside the door and see if anything is broken or see if any broken parts are laying in the bottom of the door.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the exterior handle looks exactly like the new one. There are no parts laying in the bottom of the door. Does the inside of the exterior handle have some kind of spring piece.

I am pretty sure there is a spring in the back side of the handle to pull it tight to the body when not in use.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
will that open the door from the outside.
Yes a exterior door handle does open the door from outside the vehicle
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, what I am saying is with this spring attached to the inside of this exterior door handle I will then be able to open the door from the outside.
The spring only makes the handle pull tight to the body, it has nothing to do wit h the ability to open the door from the exterior handle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well the handle is fine but I can not open the door from the outside. The handle just goes in and out with no resisence.
That means the rod connected to the latch is not connected to the handle.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what do I do?

You need to see why the rod is not connected to the handle or latch.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I went to the Ford Dealer and they were able to help me. The part I needed was called reinforce. That is were I will go for now on. That way I am not spending money on not getting the right answer. Hopefully Now if somebody ask you the quwstion you will know the answer now.