Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

Front axle..front end..the worn axle shafts howl loud on the highway

Customer Question

I have worn front axle shafts and have a howl in the front end that gets loud around 60mph can the worn axle shafts howl loud on the highway and feel it in the front end going fast?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Yes damaged axle shafts can create a howl noise. If the inner hub bearing is bad and not supporting the axle it will for one eat into the axle shaft causing it to fail as well as cause the axle shaft to spin un-commanded by 4x4 use resulting in a turbulence noise from the spinning axle. Also faulty hub bearings can create this noise as well as damaged pinion and differential bearings in the axle housing. Step one is to repair the known damaged axles and the source for there damage.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there again yea after tons of reading forums and stuff online, I had put 2 new wheel bearing assemblies on and now know after seeing both axle shafts there are worn down and both have grooves or pits on both sides,
when I took the passenger side off awhile back the inner needle bearing fell into pieces. I replaced the inner needle bearing and lubed up the axle shaft, on both sides, I also have new (ford) manual locking hubs since the stock ones wouldnt turn anymore. truck drives pretty good on highway but seems up around 65-75 you can hear howl in the front end or almost like something is moving. so ur saying 1 of my axles could be turning at just those speeds? If this is my problem I wish i would have found this out a long time ago, this would kill mpg also I would assume, are both sides spinning on the highway you think? both axles shafts have a pitting and wore down some, I have put 3000 miles on these inner needle bearings, and havent left me stranded but need to fix this. also I and pretty good at working on the front end of these trucks after several times apart.
No pitting is allowed on the short shafts or they will just eat up those new inner bearings and yes this will result in the axles starting to spin on there own till they tear up your new hub locks as well. You can tie fishing string around the u-joint and lower knuckle support and drive the vehicle in 2wd and if the string breaks then the axles are for sure turning from sitting in the hub bearing loose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh that is not good, hope they didnt wreck my new hub locks, I think there ok still, That is a great idea about the string line, Iam going to do that tommorow and see what I find out. so with the shaft wore down it will spin the axle shafts, never knew that, Are the new fords the same setup still? maybe this is the whole wobble I kinda feel in the front end at high speeds over 60 mph. I usually dont go fast so I think it took me awhile to finally figure out what is going on here, least I can do the work myself. with new shafts I shouldnt have to worry for awhile i hope. I have 213,000 on these shafts
Yes the newer trucks are still designed this way. Parts still fail but if a failure is caught early and addressed it has less of chance to cause more components to fail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well I believe it was lack of maintenance in the first couple years the truck was owed I have kept up on them every 20,000 greasing them, hasnt been since the last 70000 they have been giving me hassle on and off and left me standed 1 time for a awhile till i got new needle bearing on it. I think Im going to take both axle shafts out tommorow since they are turning down the road and put the thrust washer in a safe place till I buy new axle shafts, Iam out of town and dont need the axle shafts leaving me standed I dont see how it could be a safety issue at all its just like a 2 wd and the wheel bearing assemblies are hooked onto the knuckle the same.
If you plan to pull the shafts out and drive it till repaired, just make sure to plug the end of the axle tubs with rags to keep debris out. Glad I could help and if this is all you needed please do not forget to type I accept so I get credit for helping you.
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the quick answer. I will stuff rags in the axle shafts holes so they dont get any debris, that shouldnt be a problem at all till I buy new ones should it? Good advice on plugging the holes, and keep crap out of it, I will let you know tommorow night how the truck drives if you will be online ? Thanks again and I will pay you , I could add tip tomm also.
Expert:  NicksSticks replied 3 years ago.
Hi, seems like the hub bearing itself has failed, by reviewing above infromation seems like only hubs where replaced, not the hub bearing assemblies. Let me know what was replaced, the hubs that pop out, after removing the c-clips, or the hub bearings, that require much more than that. Thank you! Will be a Hub bearing, not a hub causing the noise.
Yes I will be online alot this weekend as well as i n the evening if you would like to post again to keep me up to date.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sounds good im gonna tear into in a bit here, Prolly only take me couple hours to take out both sides, I will put rags in each side to plug the holes. I cant wait to take it on the highway when Im done, I hope the vibration and rumble in front end is gone, I will least know what It needs even though I wont have 4wd.
Keep in touch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a guy telling me on the forum that its unsafe to drive with the shafts out and could wreck the front pumpkin. I dont agree. Everything is solid with the shafts out? I dont see how he could say that. and the pumpkin will be untouched with the axle shafts out. And it is just temporary for short period of time
If both are out then no it will not hurt the differential since your not going to be turning anything especially since you will not be commanding 4x4.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, shouldnt affect anything for safety should it? Gonna take them out this afternoon if it shouldnt hurt anything to drive with them out, I dont see how it would make the wheel bearing assembly not safe. ?
I have done it to customers trucks quite often while there waiting on more money or for parts to come in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok great, I will update you tonight once I have them out,
Andrew
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there sorry didnt get back to you on sunday, got busy and didnt have time to get the shafts out, got the shafts out today, and didnt get the towel put in the sides till I get back to my place from where I was working,
noticed some oil leaked out of the passenger side? but not the drivers side didnt appear any, I have never noticed any fluid leaking out before or couldit swashed around driving home enough to have a little bit seep out of the passenger side? I know the front differential is full from checking the fluid not 2 long back, maybe thats normal.

The axles seal off the front differential for leaking, this is why I needed you to install the rags, to stop the oil and stop debris from getting in. It was leaking because the vehicle leans when turned and the oil can get out of the differential housing and flow out the tubes without the axles there, but since your not using 4x4 during this test, the loss of some oil will not hurt it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, thats kinda what I figured didnt think i bumped the seal taking it out have always been careful taking out or putting them back in. truck seems to be better but there is still a vibration or shudder you can feel in the truck on highway over 70mph.
OK if it still vibrates with no axle shafts in the front then you need to address the hub bearings and verify there moving lateral none then address tires out of balance and ball joints possibly loose or steering linkage loose or a worn out steering gear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i assume the hub bearings are fine they have less than 5000 miles on them, Any good ways to check them ? tires were balanced last week, new balljoints less than 2000 miles ago, gearbox I had put in about 8000 miles ago, steering seems pretty good, but when I grabbed the steering shaft, through the fender, the lower portion just about where it hooks onto the gearbox it has some movement back and forth a little bit. the steering linkage was new when I did the balljoint with Moogs

Check the hub bearings by shaking the tire while it off the ground.

Also verify the rear driveshaft U-joints are good as well as the alignment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i moved the tire with it off the ground earlier and didnt seem loose, i put a new ford driveshaft on the truck last week cause the stock one with 213,000 was bad rusting andslip joint need greasing but seem stuck together so I just bought a new one, im sure i could have cleaned the old 1 up but the new one looks so nice, just painted it up nice other day, could the vibration be in the yoke by the rear end, or even in the rear end?
Yes the front yoke or rear pinion bearings can cause vibrations as well as paint on a driveshaft or a driveshaft dropped during shipping..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it was just a little bit of spray paint? hope it didnt do any harm, doubt it did, could the rear yoke go bad or how do they go bad. i assume you drop the rear driveshaft, then that big bolt to take the yoke off and pinion bearing is pressed in there or just sits in there? didnt know if undoing that bolt would mess rear end up.
Yes just removing the nut on the pinion and replacing the yoke or pinion bearing can be easily done incorrect since the pinion bearing preload has to be set up perfect with a inch-pound dial indicator torque wrench.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, in pounds whats the specs? and read somewhere I need to use a new bolt and crush washer? do you think this could be my problem? there is 213,000 on the truck, you can reply under my new post i posted tonight so you can get paid under that for helping me, Just want a good opinion from a tech, since im only a basic mechanic,

I can not post under your new post since another expert has already posted there, If you want to pay again you just hit accept again on one or more of these posts on this dialog.

Anytime the outer pinion bearing is replaced the crush collar has to be replaced. here is how to set the pinion preload from ford.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, thats crazy he didnt even help me, anyways glad ur such good help. Just looked over the sheet. So do I haveto have the rear wheels on the ground for preload? or where is the pinion bearing behind the seal? does it just slide out?
The pinion bearing is seen as soon as the seal and flange are out. It is on the pinion shaft and sometimes it takes a little effort to remove it, but it is not pressed on. Pinion preload can be done with the wheels on the ground since you are removing the axle shafts and the wheels are no longer connected to the differential
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok great. because its a full floating axle. just take covers off, and brake stuff and axles come right out right? What could cause the yoke to go bad or is my yoke on the rear end fine?

I have no clue if the yoke is good or bad, I cant see it. At the ford garage I use a photocell hooked up to the scan tool to check for an out of balance shaft or yoke, there is nothing visually you can see to determine if its good or not. I also use a vibration analyzer to get the hertz of the vibration then do some match to determine what the vibrations RPM is then do some more match to determine whats spinning this speed and the diameter of the rotation then I have it nailed down to whats causing it.

To remove an axle shaft, just remove the hub cap and the 8 bolts holding the axle on and slide it out.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, and there is an inner and outer bearing on that shaft? mounted to it?
Yes there is an inner and outer bearing, you cant get to the inner without removing the differential which will result in a press needed and more setup tools to get the pinion installed correct.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea ok, the inner ones are pressed onto the ring gears right and then all several measurements like backlash ect I was reading a tech page of 40 pages interesting, Im not taking that apart. but the out bearing is on the axle shaft ? what about the seal? Maybe be cheap insurance to replace these with my higher mileage?
If there not leaking I would not replace them. Just removing the axle shaft alone will not gain access to the axle seals. Accessing the seal means removing the hub bearings and special socket is needed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok yea I read about a special socket and load settings were need for those bearings also. I assume the outer bearings are lubed by the diff if there is a seal? They typically must last a long time then, how often do you see pinion bearings bad? do they progress or just go out, I have kept decent fluid in the rear end since 100000 miles before that it didnt get changed more than once. but I have been changing it every 40,000 since then, I tow a fair amount 6000 pounds, dont need a problem
Pinion bearings fail all the time on axles setup incorrect but if your getting no howl or whine noises from the rear axle then the pinion bearings are most likely fine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, morning, I think im just going to leave the rear end alone i think just continue keeping good fluid in it it should last a long time, drove the truck this morning and seems like its right under ur feet almost like there is a shutter in the transmission at a certain rpm.
A shudder in the transmission cant occur all the time at above 70mph like you stated, it would only occur while shifting or when the torque converter locks in so it would be a very short duration vibration not constant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh really, that helps alot , what about transfer case? or would that be odd to be coming from there. Could the front driveshaft still be spinning? I have the manual shifter on the floor but have it set for 2 wd,
It would not be the transfer case and no the front driveshaft should not be spinning in 2wd especially with no chance of faulty hub locks or axle shafts since there out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when I grapped the front driveshaft it turned with my hand meaning it wouldnt be locked it. maybe that shutter comes from the rear end at high speeds on the highway, If you do a wide open throttle you can feel sum shudder on the rear end, you can tell its in the very back of the truck, axle area if you do a wide open from a stop,
Wide open throttle is not a good test for vibration concerns since the vehicle was never intended to be at wide open throttle like nascar. Any time you apply that much torque things like drive line angle are going to change and create vibrations because it is out of the normal. Super duties are made for one purpose which is to tow or haul. Mustangs are designed for speed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I didnt mean racing it hard, not one of those kids, I think I will leave what I have got going and coninue on fluid changes every 25k for driveline. I changed the oil in my HPOP tank I vaccumed the old oil out and put new oil in truck seemed to smooth out a bit, as far as the steering shaft, do they wear out over time, would the steering be tighter with a new lower shaft the one from my gearbox to under the dash, seems like it would be a easy swap just put some loctite on the bolts.
I have never had to replace a sector shaft for wear but plenty of gearboxes on super duties. They are very easy to swap and with your mileage I could see it having some play and a new one will tighten the steering up some as long as there are no other components worn after the shaft.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, hows it going, I got the front driveshaft out and u joints seem a bit worn, Drove truck with front driveshaft out and still can feel that noise at 35-40 and highway speeds 65+ any ideas im thinking maybe rear wheel bearings though it said they dont go bad often but my fluid was gross when i did change it and 213,000 im thinking maybe they could be bad?
If they fell loose when shaking the wheel while off the ground then yes the rear wheel bearings can be bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
huh? sorry
Raise the rear wheels off the ground and try to shake them, If the wheels wobble then the rear axle hub bearings are bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I will try that in the morning, typically how long do they usually last my truck has 213,000
They should last forever but the axle oil should also be changed every 60k, if that was not done then there is no way to predict failure rate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, could a bearing be bad in the output of the transfer case? to feel it in the floor ? otherwise I was thinking tomm undo 12mm 12point bolts on the driveshaft, take rear brakes rotors off, carefully pull the axles out and turn the rear end yoke by hand and listen to the pinion bearings to see if thats the noise? Just would like to get the noise fixed it sounds like transfer case area but i assume vibration could go through driveshaft and feel like floorboard area. Again thanks for all ur help, I give you a tip you have been so helpful, and saving me money, while I enjoy learning as iam a shadetree mechanic

Yes a transfer case can have a worn output shaft bushing causing a vibration. You can remove the driveshaft and try to wobble it as well to see if any movement occurs.

On a superduty you should be able to just pull the axle shafts out without removing the rotors by removing the 8 bolts behind the hub caps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I bet that is where my problem is it seemed a little movement when I put that new driveshaft in the rear. does ford make that output shaft bushing? Is it just one bushing or is there others that need to be done? How hard just drop rear driveshaft Undo the big bolt or I have the NP 271F case with manual shifter on floor
Here is a downloaded image HERE, you can buy all the needed bushings and bearings needed from your ford dealer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
awesome, do I need #45 and 54 or? what do I have to do to replace this?
To replace these parts the transfer case has to be removed and the disassembled. Those #'s are the correct ones which need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, does it make sense to do other ones? or buy a whole new case? does the chain wear out over time. just thinking if I got to spend over 100 on parts at dealer when I can get a new one for 1100 from ford? I thought or was hoping to just drop rear driveshaft undo bolt and that needle bearing is right there? what about other bearing? sorry if im a hassle, I appreciate it and will leave you a tip
A new case is about 1000-2000$ and just a waste of money for a worn out bearing probably costing 15$. I would only fix whats faulty and not whats not. You may be able to get to it with the rear extension housing removed but I think #54 is pressed on but its been about 2 years since I had to go into a manual transfer case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea thats kinda what I thought with transfer case a new part may be no better than the one that has lasted me over 200,000 How do I get that pressed bearing off? Im gonna drop the front of the rear driveshaft in the morning and free spin the transfer case by hand will I be able to tell? what should it feel like?
Spinning a bearing at the output shafts will show nothing, only wobble in the shaft can be a accurate diagnosis indicating worn bearings. Pressed bearings require a hydraulic press to remove and install them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, so try to wobble it side to side and in and out? ??
correct
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that should help me narrow down this problem once I check the output on the transfer case and pull the axles shafts out and check carrier bearings also anything else to check? just did new rotors,pad lubed caliper pin slides there good 2 go
Nothing more I can think of at this time, you have checked everything front to back, your next step would be a ford machine which tells you what the fault is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just had a the ford shop scan it nothing, :) I appreciate all ur help chief, thanks again have ur self a good rest of the night and I keep you informed of updates if thats fine I leave a tip for you
Andrew
A scan will not show concerns, that only picks up emissions and transmission codes. A EVA machine is needed. The electronic vibration analyzer will pinpoint it. I commented on it on the 28th of feb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea I heard you mention that I have never heard of it before it you dont mind explain it more to me just curious sounds like it picks up abnormal freq to tell something out of normal range?
Here and Here is some info on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thats amazing, never heard of that before, I hope fuel dont get to 7 bucks a gallon anytime soon .Whats ur outlook on vehicles and gas
Thats a different discussion 4 times as long as this one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea I mean in general ur outlook
I see unleaded gas and diesel going away to other things.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that be awesome if it did, was going to buy another truck down the road but think I will try and keep the 7.3 mint and maybe f150 for family gt500 down the road,
also got my maxima for groceries lol
Good night
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, I took the front driveshaft down today and dropped the front of the back driveshaft, no play in and out or side to side. cant be the transfer case, I went to napa and bought the best rear wheel bearings they had inner and outer and seal. and lifted up back axle took tire and brake, rotor off and had some extra blocks which was nice for setting the back caliper down to rest safely. I got a spindle socket set so Im good to go for a lot of vehicles for friends, rent it out or my own. anyways pulled drivers side axle out, fluid look pretty gross that drained out. I undid the nut and pulled the hub off. the bearings seemed to have a grind in them a bit turning them. so im guessing the other side is the same, I only did this side. one thing though im not sure about is that nut, Are you familer with those at all? I should of waited to do it till I got a new 1 I think you are only soposse to use new ones not sure. but the thread part of the bolt seemed loose on the backing plate (its all one bolt) is that normal or did it break taking it out?? It said 5 turns for new bearings tighting by hang slowing It just open click all the way around, I just tighten it up enough so the hub didnt have any in and out play. I ordered a new nut will be here tues I think.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Im online
I have always re-used the locking nut, they do feel and operate weird but I have never had a failure re-using one.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey good great I got today off paid :) so the inside of that nut is sopossed to sit loose in that housing? im talking about the whole nut itself. the back is flat with the upper line that lines up on the shaft and then I had threaded the wobbley piece on, is it sopossed to be solid?
Once it is all locked and adjusted correct it should lock in tight against the outer bearing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, so it didnt break ever then it sounds like. It make that clicking sound all the way around when I was threading it on my hand . it that inside soposse to move loose around the backing of the nut?
Yes the inside of the nut is going to be loose so you can turn it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh ok, thats kinda what I thought if it turns to click,it will be wobble till it tightens up. I thought it was broke at first , also wondering obout the seal on the back the oil one took a bit of pounding to from the inside edge with a tool, I was careful not to mar anything up. the seal was rusted in and came out tough.. also the oil seal was stuck onto the spindle which took a bit careful time to get it off, also when I put the new seal in I carefully tapped the seal in so the metal flange on the seal sat flat on the inside of the hub. was I soposse to put the inside of the seal down more? like the actualy inside of the rubber seal?
Just hammer the seal on flush to the back of the hub and thats it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea thats exactly what I did, Im not sure if I got the nut torque correct. I tighted it up 5 clicks and it seemed like the hub was loose in and out on the axle still . I just tightended it up so it was good and snug but didnt torque on it super tight . I heard it click more than 5 though. with the axle out the hub turnedfairly snug by hand. with no in and out play. I just dont want it to be wrong.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yea did i tighten it up to much, kinda wondering, I just didnt think it was good for hub to have any movement was why I tightened it up for but dont it to be to tight. is it safe to pull the axle shaft out with tire on ground and try it again or should I leave it? how critical is the torque or the bearings pretty tough,
Torque is critical, the axle can be pulled with the wheel o n the ground but bearing cant be adjusted with the wheel on the ground
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will readjust the torque with the wheel off and floor jack under back axle, pull axle and try and re adjust it, and let you know I only have a torque wrench with the dial indicator in the middle will that work fine to torque to 60ft lbs and then use a ratchet to back off 5 clicks?
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, great news just got done working on the truck, lifted the back axle up again with my big floor jack and pulled drivers side tire off took axle shaft out, I bought a real nice torque wrench ( one that clicks) set it to 60 lbs first I back the nut off loose a hair then put the torque wrench with the special socket on there and tightened it up slowly till it clicked couple times then got my ratchet out like you mention and backed it off exactly 5 clicks. Im glad you mention the ratchet, or breaker bar it would be easy to miss a click. it appears spin more freely the truck down the highway and I would say deffinetly more quiet, I still have to do the passenger side. inner bearing will be here tomm, I got the outer bearing. truck is night and day difference on the highway, I cant wait to get other side done , I have it done if I wasnt waiting on parts
sounds good
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hey there, got the other side done, noise is gone, amazing, I can still hear a very slight quiet noise in the rear, cant tell if its the tires or maybe carrier or pinion bearings, when i did this side it didnt have that little metal slinger between seal and inside inner bearing, whats that do? maybe someone had it apart and lost it or broke it. will it hurt anything with it out?
It will not hurt not being there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi again wondering if it is ok to install the drivers side axle shaft, got new parts on it and wanting to put that side in, I hate to drive on them without no axle shafts on highway, Is it fine with just one side in? or should I put the passenger side back on also, it has some wear on the axle shaft but not bad enough to not have it together till I get the part in, but that was never the noise I was hearing on the highway, maybe its better to have it all put together?
It is better to half it all the way apart or all the way together, not partially assembled.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well heres the deal, Im visiting family down south and going to drive home, should I just put the old axle shafts back in or is it ok on highway to leave them out? Will it hurt the bearings with the axle shafts not being in there?
You will not hurt anything driving with the front axle shafts out, just remember to keep the axle tubes plugged with rags and maybe some duct tape over the end to keep debris out of the oil and differential. F450 and 550's with which are 4x2 have a hollow front axle and the exact same hub bearings and there are no axle shafts in them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I put the my front driveshaft back in with the new u joints right now? just leave axle shafts out.
The front driveshaft in will not hurt anything
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Doesnt the front driveshaft turn some going down the road? will it splash diff fluid out more out of the holes with the rags, I soposse i better top fluid off in the front end also doesnt appear very much are in the rags, a little soaked up in them
The front driveshaft should never turn unless its in 4x4 or if the axle shafts are in and getting turned by issues at the hubs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had the both axle shafts out and still had the front driveshaft in when I tied the string to it and it broke it, shoe string size was half of a shoe string regular string. Was told or read there is enough velosity to turn the front driveshaft some even in 2wd?
Someone told you wrong, thats a concern inside the transfer case. The front driveshaft should never turn in 2wd. This system is designed to have no resistance in 2wd and a spinning front driveshaft and front axles would be resistance just as if you were in 4wd all the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so with the string tied to my front driveshaft with both axle shafts out it shouldnt turn at all or move? It broke the string, granted it was a fairly small string, there was 2 guys on here, mentioned there is enough velosity inside the transfer case in 2wd for the front shaft to turn some going down highway,
I am on my 3rd super duty, and have worked on hundreds, the front driveshaft should not turn at all when in 2wd. Even if its just collecting friction in the transfer case it still should not be able to break any kind of string.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
even if its a small piece of string? thats what I was thinking, So i must have a issue with mine, I know it goes into 4wd, maybe internally its stuck in 4wd. any idea what the problem is? do you guys usually fix them or drop a new one in?
I fix them, possible cause is a faulty electromagnetic clutch or damaged fingers on the shift forks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where you located at? Im not sure if most shops tear into the transfer cases, they prolly just get you to buy a new one, Also wondering how long the master cylinders last, I have 213,000 on mine, is it good insurance to change it with the mileage? They are pretty cheap new. I have a new hydroboost unit old one leaked a couple years back, and have bleed the brakes but pedal still feels soft at times,

I'm in TN.

Due to just answer rules I cant respond to questions not pertaining to the original concern of the axle noise.