Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Ford F250 Pickup 4x2 I have problems with a 96 ford f250 with

Customer Question

I have problems with a 96 ford f250 with a 5.8L motor. It starts and runs fine but when it gets around 45 to 55 mph it misses, spits and sputters. to the right of the manifold there is an assembly with 2 hoses and a small round cylinder with a hose barb coming out of it. there is air coming out of this when the truck is running. I have not been able to find where this "missing hose" goes I was told over the phone this is my problem but I dont know I currently found out that the air coming out has something to do with possibly the egr vavle and there isnt suppost to be a hose on it air isnt suppost to be coming out of there and that assembly is malfuctioning? the air pushing out of this (blow off port) assembly could be causing the truck to miss dose this sound right?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

FlatHead_337 :

Refer to this vacuum diagram, is it the solenoid valve you are taking about?

Full Size Image

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I think its the egr control solenoid. Im not a 100 percent on that. I had an autozone tell me that and also tell me the bleeder on it isnt suppost to be pushing air through it. he said that the vavle was faulty and that would cause it to miss and spit and sputter at 45-55 mph dose this sound right?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Is this what it looks like? If so, that is the EGR Vacuum Solenoid.

graphic

Are you getting any codes P0403 EGR Solenoid Circuit Malfunction?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Here is all the info I could get on the 1996 Ford F-250 Electronic EGR System, click here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so thats not the right thing. this is long gated with bigger hose ports two in the back, one in the front that the (air is blowing out of) also its spitting and sputtering at the 40 -50 mph I think the blowing increases out of this "port" at the higher rpm and thats causeing the missing but Im just guessing
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Here are the 5.8 component locations, click here.

Sorry, I was napping.

Ok, can you tell what it is called now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well sir If I had to guess from this pic I would say its located where the secondary air injection diverter and idle air control valve are located would it be easy to send you a pic of the part im talking about?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Sure, make sure the picture is less than 1 Mb then attach it by clicking on the paper clip icon right to the left of the you tube icon. If it's more than 1 Mb just upload to mediafire.com and give me the link. Also, see if you can find a part number on the part. Is what is leaking air a vacuum fitting without a hose or some kind of bleed off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didnt see any part number on it

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I believe that is the secondary air injection valve, where is the hose? Is that it laying just to the left of the oil fill cap, kinda rolled up below the cap?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

I thought that that should be hooked to the air pump untill I read this.

Managed Thermactor® Air System > Operation
Operation
The MTA system is used to inject fresh air into the exhaust manifolds or catalytic converters via an air control valve. Under some operating conditions, the air can be dumped back into the atmosphere via an air bypass valve. On some applications the two valves are combined into one unit. The air bypass valve can be either the normally closed type, when the valves are separate, or the normally open type, when the valves are combined.

Ok, it has to be one of these, click here.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

It looks more like the first or third one, but they both look the same, the Managed Air Thermactor.

graphic

Do the hoses on the backside go to the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so based upon whaqt you wrote the the valve could be open and could be normally dumping air into the outside right? and if so what would my problem be with the truck spitting and sputtering "hickuping" at 40-50 mph. Btw it dosent do this all the time and it mostly dose it when you go then let off the gas then go again thats when its the worst and ill check about where the hoses on the backside go and write back. should there be a hose on that port or no??
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
For testing, click here. That side tat is disconnected, did you find the hose and does exhaust gas come out that open hole or does air from he air pump come out? Yes, there should be a hose on it and I am guessing it goes to the air pump.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
If that does go to the air pump and hot exhaust gas is coming out of it I think that it is bad. Air is supposed to flow in the other direction and that should be a one way valve and is just leaking backwards. Find your air pump, it should be next to the alternator and belt driven, then look for the hose coming off it and follow it.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

I think this one is it, the one without threads and Hose nipple on both ends.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1996-Ford-F250-3-4-ton-P-U-2WD/Air-Pump-Check-Valve/_/N-j5mxjZ93xps?filterByKeyWord=valve&fromString=search

Gp-Sorensen/Air Pump Check Valve

Price:$25.99
Part Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN
graphic

That is most likely the cause of the misses, spits and sputters.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I found that both hoses go behind the manifold one wraps around the other side of the motor and goes to the air pump the other I cant tell where it goes. I dont believe that hot exhast air is the air coming out of it. it is always cool air
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, then its the opposite of what I thought. Where were you standing when you took the picture? What side of the engine is that and which way is forward?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so I see from your diagram that you gave me and based on what I found the one we are talking about is the air bypass port which is suppost to have a hose connected to it that goes to the port maked control vacuum right? right side(drivers) and left would be the front of the truck
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Since you said that one of the hoses that is connected goes to the air pump, then that without the hose on it looks like a check valve like in the diagram. It either goes to the exhaust manifold or catalytic converter. The air control valve is the only thing that has 3 hoses. I think it would be normal than for air to be coming out of it but the hose is missing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so air is suppost to be coming out of it so that part up to there is working properly its just the matter of finding out if it goes to the manifold or converter. and with that hose missing that could still cause the spit and sputter right?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Yeah, I would think so. Was you getting any codes? Try it and let me know. Have you found the hose yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no I havent found the hose, i didnt test for codes. where is the port to test in fords to see if I was getting codes. I prob was cause the check engine light came on a couple of times
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

The OBD Diagnostic Link Connector is located in the front seating area, on the passenger side, under the dash, above the kick panel, mounted at the rear of the glove compartment.

You can look up the meaning of the codes here, http://www.actron.com/code_lookup.php

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp on the dashboard may also be used to retrieve the stored codes. For that procedure, click here.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so do you have any idea where this hose should be located and how do you test for codes useing the malfunction lamp my computer for some reason wont open the link

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

That link is a *.doc, it opens with Microsoft's word or office. You could download their free word viewer here, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD001022584.aspx

Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on the air diagram for the truck I noticed it has an air bypass/diverter could this be the part that we are looking for? I have looked all over and cant find where this goes
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

I think the diverter is actually the thing behind it. Not to mention the diverter's are solenoids. They would have wires to it. Where does this hose go in this pic?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what I found out so far is that the air coming out of the front of this assembly increases when you accelarate. This is some kind of smog system right? A guy that I talked to about seems to think that hose that you are asking about is suppost to go on that port and that something else is suppost to go there. that hose runs onto a port located under the oil cap then goes to the air filter. what do you think?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Can you take some more pictures and this time back up a little?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphichere you go. btw a guy told me that its a smog pump. I took off the intake hoses so you can get a better view
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Smog pump, A.I.R. Pump is the same thing. Although that part is not th smog pump, the smog pump is a pump driven by a belt. It's probably part of the smog (a.i.r.) system but not the pump.

Anyhow, you pictures are not showing up. How did you upload them?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks for the information, it seems everyone i ask knows what it is and calls it something diffrent but it seems everyone is clueless about it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Ok, where is the air intake hoses I see missing?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Is this a 4 bbl carburetor engine?

If so, it appears there are 2 air(smog) pumps, do you have 2 pumps?

graphic

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

I still think it is a check valve for the A.I.R. (smog) pump system, but it figures the picture that I need from the Chilton manual is not too good of a picture (diagram).

graphic

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

If only you could tell me exactly where those 2 hoses go I marked in red, I may be able to tell what that is.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
one for sure goes to the air pump the other one I dont know for sur because it seems to go down the backside of the motor. also I dont think that it has two air pumps but it could I guess I didnt look close enough but the alternator Is above the air pump not below and the air pump is located on the left side down below
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
oh and I removed the intake hoses so you could get a better look at it
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
If it had 2 air pumps the second one would be right on top. Can you give me the vin number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sure its 1FTHF25H1TEA69329
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Ok, just wanted to make sure of the year and engine. 1996 5.8

There has got to be something there without a hose connected to it. Can you take some pictures looking from the rear to the front where that second air pump might have been?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sure, I have to wait untill tomorrow because its dark out now
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that last one is a sticker that is located on top of the assembly I wondered if it was a part number or something

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.
Can you back up some and take a pic from the rear looking forward and get the whole drivers side of the front engine.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

It appears that is a Air Management / Diverter Valve. I found alot of them here but none on page 1 that matches that part number. Am looking at page 2 now.

http://www.baseparts.com/air-bypass-valves/

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Here is the Chilton section on Secondary Air Injection Systems, click here. Now you said those 2 hoses that go around the rear of the engine go to the smog pump and most likely the exhaust manifold on the other side, that means that this side with the hose off must go to the exhaust manifold on this bank. In that one picture you just sent, the next to the last one, this one

graphic
View Full Image

Those black pipes look like they go to the exhaust manifold. Do you see an opening for the hose?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

At figure 17 it has an AIRD Valve Without Pressure Relief, that has got to be it. So, that is supposed to have air coming out.

graphic
View Full Image

That big thing I believe is a check valve. Now the end that is open without a hose goes to either the catalytic converter or the exhaust manifold. So depending on where that other one went it would be the opposite, cause after the check valve it splits and feeds both banks of the exhaust manifold or both catalytic converters.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that what you have in the picture listed as inlet is the same pipe that wraps around the motor in the other picture and goes down to the air pump not the exhaust maniford. The picture that you are looking at there is a pipe that goes down to the air pump and a flat piece of metel that coonects to it to support it. its not a pipe. the other one that you have listed as outlet A is the one that wraps around the back of the motor and drops down. I looked at the converters and there is no pipe that I seen hooked up to them. I am thinking that the pipe that drops down the motor may hook up to the exhaust manifold.I can see one at least one of them a pipe that hooks upto it coming possibly from that area. One thing that might have happened is the exhaust was replaced and they left it off when they changed it. I am just guessing about that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you said that this could cause the spitting and sputtering at 45-50mph. since you are sure that they are both suppost to hook up to the exhaust. couldnt I just split off the one you have listed as outlet a and connect them together?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 years ago.

Yes, inlet means air coming in from the air pump. The outlets go to the exhaust manifolds or catalytic converters. I saw what I thought was the pipes on the exhaust manifold.

graphic
View Full Image

They have both pipes here, http://www.compnine.com/index.php?pa=1&ta=1&acdmodelida=1365690727&yeara=1996&acdmakeida=1000054420&acdlineida=21&yearid=1000375613

ALL V8 351 (H) FI N 5.8L GAS 89053448 As Needed RIGHT HAND PIPE,SECD AIR INJN * * Click $138.46

ALL V8 351 (H) FI N 5.8L GAS 89053452 As Needed LEFT HAND PIPE,SECD AIR INJN * * Click $140.75

graphic
View Full Image