Eric N
Eric N, Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Ford Taurus SE how do you find a bad coil pack, or misfire

how do you find a bad coil pack, or misfire in a ford taurus 2000, dohc 3.0 duratec
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric N replied 3 years ago.

Eric :

Hi. At the dealer we have a power balance tool on the laptop that will show us which cylinder is dropping out. Its a little more difficult to find without that. Coils are very common to go bad. Has the check engine light been on? Do you have access to a code reader? Thanks, Eric

Customer:

yes a weak 1, but i found i real bad spark plug on the passanger side < and it had gas around it, or on it

Customer:

so all 6 coils can be bad

Customer:

it got like a little idle, and i dont know which 1 to change

Eric :

All 6 are probably not bad. Was the check engine light on?

Customer:

yes,i never changed the coil packs, and this problem just started, on friday

Eric :

you need to have the computer scanned for the codes

Customer:

i pulled the coil pack, while i had the car running, and the 1 in the middle of the front three, had a arc, but the 1 on the end in the front by the driver, did not really have any spark

Eric :

wait. does this car have ignition wires from the coil pack going to the spark plugs?

Customer:

i had it read and the code p0320, and p0442 pop up, the code p0442 is a small evap leak, and the other code said ignition distributor speed sensor circuit, i think so, my coil packs have a module on top of the boot, and on that module is a connector, that connects to another wire leading to the fire wall

Eric :

p0320 is usually caused by a faulty cam sensor which will give a running rough condition. Can I please have the vin number so I can verify which engine is in your vehicle?

Customer:

duratec 3.0

Customer:

if you still need the vin i will have to go outside and write it down, it take nothing but a moment

Eric :

yes please do.

Customer:

alright

Eric :

thanks. i'll be waiting

Customer:

1fafp55s6yg2266632

Eric :

thanks

Eric :

Without the dealer equipment, the only way to find which coil is bad is too disconnect the electrical connector while its skipping and look for which one doesn't change engine rpm

Customer:

you talking about the connector leading from the coil packs

Eric :

yes. each spark plug has it's own ignition coil. correct?

Customer:

so disconnect the connectors and start the car or do it while the car is running, but leave the boot part in there

Customer:

and with ever 1 is bad the rpms should drop

Eric :

Almost. whichever one is bad the rpms will not change, because that cylinder is already not firing. know what I mean. All the good cylinders the rpm will drop because they are contributing.

Customer:

so do it while the car is running

Eric :

yes

Eric :

Did you make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks?

Customer:

thank you sir, i let u know if i found the bad, like in a hour, is that good enough

Customer:

sorry for calling you sir, i meant to call u eric

Eric :

Thats ok. no worries. thanks. Please remember to click ACCEPT as well!

Customer:

yes, i did make sure i did not have a vaccum leak, i check all my connections, cause yesterday when i did the spark plugs, i left 2 connections loose and the car idle real high, and when i hook them 2 back up, the car ran smooth, and when i tried toi go to school this morning that when then stop and go,and dude hook it up to his scanner and found out the the p0320 code and it read ignition distributor speed sensor circuit

Eric :

Ok. Please let me know results.

Eric N, Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified