david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

how to remove replace key ign 94 ford probe

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you foe your question hope this helps.

david :

This is a bigger job then one would think. If this is the Millenia model the dash must be removed to replace the lock cylinder / switch.

david :

I will start with the instructions for the Millenia.

To remove

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Properly disarm the air bag system.
  3. Remove the rear console box, brake boot and center panel (disconnect the harness connectors).
  4. Remove the rear console.
  5. Remove the undercover, glove compartment and compartment cover.
  6. Remove the upper and lower steering column covers.
  7. Tilt the steering shaft down. Remove the cap and panel light control switch. Remove the meter hood mounting screws. Pull the meter hood forward to disengage the clips.
  8. Remove the instrument cluster,
  9. Remove the drivers side air bag and the steering wheel.
  10. Remove the combination switch.
  11. Remove the passenger side air bag mounting bolts, electrical connector and remove the air bag module.
  12. Remove the hood panel release lever. Pull the side panel forward to disengage the clips, remove the side panel.
  13. Remove the side covers.
  14. Remove the dashboard mounting bolts, pull the dashboard up and forward and remove.
  15. Remove the steering shaft.
  16. Remove the screw and the ignition switch and disconnect the ignition switch connector.
  17. Using a chisel and a hammer make a groove in the heads of the steering lock mounting bolts. Remove the bolts and the steering lock assembly.

To install

1. Install the steering lock mechanism to the steering column jacket. Make sure that the lock operates correctly. Install new mounting bolts and tighten the bolts till the heads break off.
  2. Reconnect the ignition switch connector to the ignition switch and install the ignition switch to the steering lock mechanism with the screw.
  3. Replace the dashboard close to its mounts and connect all harness connectors. Install all mounting bolts. Torque to 14–18 ft. lbs. (19–25 Nm).
  4. Install the side covers.
  5. Instal the side panels.
  6. Install the steering shaft and torque the mounting bolts to 12–16 ft. lbs. (16–22 Nm).
  7. Connect the passenger side air bag module electrical connector and replace the module to the dash and install the mounting bolts.
  8. Install the combination switch on the steering column.
  9. Install the steering wheel and drivers side air bag module.
  10. Install the instrument cluster.
  11. Install the meter hood.
  12. Install the upper and lower steering column covers.
  13. Install the glove compartment cover, compartment and the undercover.
  14. Install the rear console, bracket, center panel, brake lever boot and the rear console box.
  15. Reconnect the negative battery cable,
  16. Place the steering column securely on a workbench. Use a chisel and hammer to make slots in the head of the lock screws. Remove the screws.

david :

Now this is the non Millenia this is a lot easier job

2. If equipped, disarm and remove the air bag.
  3. Remove the steering wheel and the combination switch.
  4. Remove the steering column by performing the following:
    1. Remove the driver's side under dash covers.
    2. If equipped, disconnect the key interlock cable from the steering column.
    3. Detach any remaining electrical wire harness connectors from the column.
    4. Remove the upper column-to-dash mounting bolts. Support the steering column.
    5. Remove the intermediate shaft-to-steering column shaft coupling bolt and remove the steering column-to-firewall bracket bolts/nuts.
    6. Remove the steering column from the vehicle.
  5. Place the steering column securely on a workbench. Use a chisel and hammer to make slots in the head of the lock screws. Remove the screws.
  6. Remove the ignition lock assembly.

To install

1. Position the ignition lock and bracket on the steering column.
  2. Install the new screws until the head twists off. Make sure the lock operates properly while tightening the new locking screws.
  3. The remainder of the installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

Exploded view of the ignition switch/lock cylinder assembly

Full Size Image

Full Size Image

david :

Hope this helps.