Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
17239397

The car idles real high, then goes down, then shuts off

Customer Question

the car idles real high, then goes down, then shuts off
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 3 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

Bamaman39 :

hello

Customer:

whats good

Bamaman39 :

Does this happen all the time or when coming to a stop?

Customer:

when i first start the car it idles real high, then it comes down,and then shut off, i was talking to david another ford tech on the just answer, and was telling him the problem, i noticed it friday morning when i went to the store, it would stutter, and go, so he said it was like a coil wireor something to do with the spark plugs, or coils going to the pcm or coming from the pcm, i changed the spark plugs, cause i havent change the spark plugs in around 2 years, so they needed changed,and my alternator went bad, and i went to school to fix that, and while i was driving to my school, it was doing the stop and go thing to, so could i have f**k something up, and when i did the spark plug change, 1 of the spark plugs was not even down, and it smelled like gas had got on it

Bamaman39 :

i think you have a vacuum leak, a bad iac valve or a bad maf. A leak will make it idle high and you can hear a hissing sound under the hood when you are listening. A idle air control valve will cause it to idle high the low and it will cut off when coming to a stop. A bad mass air flow will do the same thing

Customer:

so how do find it,cause before i changed the spark plugs, the car would start with a slight high idle around 11 or 12 hundred,and then go down, then shut off,but now it idles real high, and goes down, and shut off. i hook the scan code reader up, and the code p0320 pops up,

Bamaman39 :

the best thing is to get it hooked up with a good scan tool and look up pids. this will let you know the valves the sensors.

Customer:

so i got to take it to a shop

Bamaman39 :

yes or start changing out parts

Bamaman39 :

we have issues with the iac valve and vacuum leaks on that motor

Customer:

i cant even get it started, why did it have a little idle, and now it has a little idle

Customer:

or a higher idle

Bamaman39 :

a idle control valve will do that

Customer:

so check all the iac vavles

Bamaman39 :

there is one

Customer:

so check the one, and where is it located at

Bamaman39 :

im trying to find a picture

Bamaman39 :

once you take the cover off the throttle body there will be a gray valve there thats it

Customer:

when i did the spark plugs, cause its 3 in the front, and 3 in the back, did i take off the throttle body, cuse i got a ford taurus, 3.0 dohc

Bamaman39 :

no you should have not removed the throttle body