Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Ford Taurus GL Sirs, I own a 1997 Taurus and the turn signals

Sirs,
I own a 1997 Taurus and the turn signals do not work. They stopped working when I activated the emergency flashers, so I am convinced the flasher relay is out. I just need to know where that relay is located in the car.

Thanks,
Ray Spooner XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective is in fact a defective flasher, the flasher is located under the dash on the drivers side, see diagram below.

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks.

graphic

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The flasher is located under the dash on the drivers side, see diagram below.

graphic

The test procedures are below.

PINPOINT TEST DA: TURN SIGNAL LAMPS/HAZARD FLASHER LAMPS INOPERATIVE

DA1 CHECK SUPPLY TO MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

• Turn ignition switch to RUN.
  • Connect one end of voltmeter to a known good ground. Connect other end to Pin C269 , Circuit 1039 (BK/Y) at multi-function switch connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
GO to DA4. GO to DA2.

DA2 CHECK OUTPUT OF FUSE 15 (10A)

• Using a voltmeter connected to a known good ground, check fuse junction panel connector Pin C235 , Circuit 1039 (BK/Y) for voltage.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
SERVICE Circuit 1039 (BK/Y) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. GO to DA3.

DA3 CHECK SUPPLY TO FUSE 15 (10A)

• Using a voltmeter, check fuse junction panel connector Pin C235 , Circuit 687 (GY/Y).

Is B+ present?

Yes No
REPLACE damaged Fuse 15 (10A). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. SERVICE Circuit 687 (GY/Y) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

DA4 CHECK BATTERY SUPPLY TO MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

• Using a voltmeter connected to a known good ground, check Pin C269 , Circuit 385 (W/R) of multi-function switch connector for voltage.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
GO to DA7. GO to DA5.

DA5 CHECK SUPPLY AT FUSE 29 (15A)

• Using a voltmeter, check fuse junction panel connector Pin C235 , Circuit 385 (W/R).

Is B+ present?

Yes No
SERVICE Circuit 385 (W/R) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. GO to DA6.

DA6 CHECK SUPPLY TO FUSE 29 (15A)

• Using a voltmeter, check fuse junction panel connector Pin C225 , Circuit 1052 (T/BK).

Is B+ present?

Yes No
REPLACE damaged Fuse 29 (15A). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. SERVICE Circuit 1052 (T/BK).

DA7 CHECK INDICATOR FLASHER GROUND

• Access indicator flasher connector. Disconnect connector.
  • Using an ohmmeter connected to a known good ground, connect second lead to Circuit 57 (BK) at electronic indicator flasher. Measure resistance.

Is resistance 5 ohms or less?

Yes No
GO to DA8. SERVICE Circuit 57 (BK) for open circuit. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

DA8 CHECK SUPPLY AT INDICATOR FLASHER

• Disconnect indicator flasher.
  • Turn ignition to RUN.
  • Using a voltmeter connected to a known good ground, connect the other end to Circuit 383 (R/W) of indicator flasher connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
GO to DA10 . GO to DA9.

DA9 CHECK MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH OUTPUT TO INDICATOR FLASHER

• With ignition switch still in the RUN position and the voltmeter connected to ground, connect the other end of the voltmeter to Pin C269 , Circuit 383 (R/W) of the multi-function switch connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
SERVICE open in Circuit 383 (R/W). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. REPLACE multi-function switch. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

DA10 CHECK INPUT TO MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH FROM INDICATOR FLASHER

• Reconnect indicator flasher.
  • Turn ignition switch to RUN.
  • Using a voltmeter connected to a known good ground, connect other end to Pin C269 , Circuit 44 (LB) of the multi-function switch connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
GO to DA12 . GO to DA11.

DA11 CHECK OUTPUT OF INDICATOR FLASHER

• With ignition switch still in the RUN position and the voltmeter connected to ground, connect the other lead to Circuit 44 (LB) of the indicator flasher connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
SERVICE open in Circuit 44 (LB). RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system. REPLACE indicator flasher. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

DA12 CHECK OUTPUT OF MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH

• Actuate turn signal lever to the left turn position.
  • Turn ignition switch to the RUN position.
  • Using a voltmeter connected to a known good ground, connect the other end to Pin C269 , Circuit 3 (LG/W) of the multi-function switch connector.

Is B+ present?

Yes No
REPLACE indicator flasher. RETEST system. REPLACE multi-function switch. RESTORE vehicle. RETEST system.

Edited by Shawn on 2/18/2011 at 11:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not at the vehicle right now, so could you tell me where the flasher module is located relative to the steering column?

I also need the part number for the flasher, both from motorcraft and other makers.

Thanks.

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The flasher is up under the dash, just to the left of the steering column, (see diagram below).

graphic

The ford part number is XXXXX 13350 AA and the cost is $27.42

Autozone has it for $9.99 (seediagram below).

graphic

Edited by Shawn on 2/19/2011 at 6:11 PM EST
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas