Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.
26022388

How to replace glow plugs 2006 6.

Customer Question

how to replace glow plugs 2006 6.0 F350
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 3 years ago.

Steve W :

Hello my name isXXXXX here is glow plug removal, any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W

Steve W :

Dummy plugs I am not sure exactly what you are talking about, there are 4 connectors on each cylinder head for the fuel injector wiring, is this what you are talking about? Let me know thanks Steve W

Customer:

Dummy plug is some thing to do with high pressure oil that helps start up . What I broke and thought was the wiring for the glow plug are one at each cylender like a spark plug Has a hole there and the electrical plug go it that hole. Are the glow plugs under the valve covers?

Steve W :

Ok, I see in a previuos question Carl calls them dummy plugs, I call them oil rail block off plugs.

Customer:

The holes are to the inside of the head towards the turbo

Steve W :

The glow plugs are under valve covers but are accessed by removing the wiring and going through the wiring hole. You don't have to remove valve cover for glow plugs, but I will say they rarely fail.

Steve W :

Ok, those are injector wiring connectors.

Steve W :

Let me see if I can find oil rail picture.

Customer:

oh crap so i need a harnes for injectors

Steve W :

What is broke the wiring going into the head or the actual wiring connector?

Steve W :

If the fuel injector harness is broke, it can be replaced separately and is fairly easy.

Customer:

The connection on the bottem side.not the out side one. I pulled the hair pin clip on the female then tryed to remove the male out of the hole. But i do not beleave the male comes out the top.

Steve W :

The male stays in the head and is removed with a special tool, it comes into the head from under the valve cover.

Steve W :

The steel retainer clip stays in the connector and shouldn't be removed, just push in on the steel retainer and remove the wiring connector.

Customer:

Yes that is were it is at

Steve W :

Fuel injectors click here here is a diagram of the set up for the fuel injectors.

Steve W :

To get the wiring under the valve cover, the fuel injector must be replaced.

Customer:

So that male end is to the enjector

Steve W :

The end that goes into the head is part of the injector wiring. There is a picture of it in previous post.

Customer:

Ok thanks a lot.

Steve W :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX using Just Answer, Steve W

Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience: 28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.