Brian, Ford Shop Foreman
Experience:  Ford Senior Master certified Tech, 36 years Ford technician.

The 5.4 Triton engine problem been resolved

Customer Question

Has the 5.4 Triton engine problem been resolved? If so, how and what year?

Category: Ford
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
What engine problems are you referring to ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the spark plugs blowing out, stripping out, breaking off...
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.

The 5.4 3valve engine has the spark plugs that break off in the head when trying to remove them, the plugs were redesigned in 2009, the problem was the end of the plug was smooth and extends into the spark plug hole, this would accumulate carbon, when trying to remove them, the carbon would cause the end of the plug to seize as it is turned causing it to break. The new plugs have threads all the way to the end, this will remove the carbon as it turns. I have heard that Champion makes a replacement plug for the 04-08 that has threads all the way to the tip of the plug. The older 5.4 2valve engine had the problem with plugs blowing out, the only thing I can tell you from experience was that these plugs would loosen up if not torqued correctly and the compression would blow them out and take the threads with it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so my 2007 is a 3v and has the problem plugs and when they are removed, should go back with the new style redesigned in 2009???????

If this is the case, how should the original plugs be removed?
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
The plugs for the 2007 and 2009 are not interchangeable. When the plugs are to be removed, the engine should be warm, not hot, turn each plug about 1/4 to 1/2 turn then use a spray carb cleaner and spray a shot into each plug hole and let it sit for a minimum of an hour, this should dissolve most of the carbon ,this works most of the time, but not 100%, there are special tool kits made to remove the broken section of the plug that work well. The tool kit is made by Lisle, part # LS65600 and sells for around $90.00. Before the new plugs are install you should apply a small amount of anti-seize at the base of the plug, just above the threads.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What makes the plugs different or unique for the 2007 versus 2009 or newer?????
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
I think they are a different heat range, or they length of the tip may be different, but the part numbers are not interchangeable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can call Champion or NAPA or Advance Auto to find out for sure if Champion has a replacement plug that is threaded all the way?
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
Yes, they should be able to tell you the correct replacement plug.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there other inherent problems with the 2007(built in 8/2007) especially 5.4 Triton engine and would you buy one?

if you already own one, would it prompt you to get rid of it?

I guess I'm wondering, just how big of a problem is it?
Expert:  Brian replied 5 years ago.
These have been very good engines, very few problems and no common problems, I own a 2002 5.4l and it has been great for me, 120,000 miles. A few guys at work have 2006, 2008 F150's with the 5.4l, no problems at all..