Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
8633277

Ford Fusion 2006, Problem Shifting Park to Drive

I have a ford fusion (3.0 engine and six cylinder-2006) and for the last few days I have been having a problem getting my car from "park" to "drive"...it is an automatic. I can not get my stick shift to move...
Category: Ford
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The most common cause of the problem you are having is a defective stoplamp switch, first double check to see if the brake lights illuminate properly when the pedal is pressed. If you need test procedures, as well as replacement instructions let me know, and I will send them to you, thanks.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would love to get test procedures and replacement instructions. Is it easy to fix or do I need a mechanic? Is it expensive to fix?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The test procedures are below, if the brake lights are working properly then most likely the shift lock actuator is defective, and the shifter lever assembly will need to be replaced.

If the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks. If you have more questions let me know, thanks again.

The transaxle shift control linkage consists of:

• a shift cable that connects the transaxle range selector lever to the floor shifter assembly.
  • a brake shift interlock actuator that is integral to the floor shifter assembly.

The floor shifter assembly:

• locks the transaxle range selector lever in the PARK position when the ignition switch is in the LOCK position.
  • requires the transaxle range selector lever to be in the PARK position to turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.

SYMPTOM CHART
ConditionPossible SourcesAction
  • Shift interlock system does not release/lock correctly
  • Circuitry open/shorted
  • Fuse(s)
  • Stoplight switch
  • GO to Pinpoint Test A.
  • Shift lock actuator
  • INSTALL a new selector lever assembly. REFER to Selector Lever in this section.
  • Shift control linkage is out of correct gear relationship
  • Shift linkage out of adjustment
  • REFER to Selector Lever Cable Adjustment in this section.
  • Loose shift cable bracket
  • CHECK the shift cable bracket. Tighten as necessary.

THE SHIFT INTERLOCK SYSTEM DOES NOT RELEASE/LOCK CORRECTLY

Test StepResult / Action to Take
A1 TEST THE BRAKE LIGHTS
  • Apply the brake pedal and view the brake lights.
  • Do the brake lights illuminate?
Yes
GO to A2.

No
REFER to Section 417-01.
A2 TEST SHIFT INTERLOCK ACTUATOR POWER CIRCUIT
  • Disconnect: Floor Shifter Harness Connector C3245.
  • Ignition ON.
  • Measure the voltage between floor shifter harness connector C3245-1, vehicle harness side and ground, while applying the brake pedal.

graphic

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to A3.

No
REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.
A3 TEST SHIFT INTERLOCK ACTUATOR GROUND CIRCUIT
  • Ignition OFF.
  • Measure the resistance between floor shifter harness connector C3245-4, vehicle harness side and ground.

graphic

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
INSTALL a new selector lever. No

Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. As far as the repairs go, the stoplamp switch is very simple to replace, if the shift lock actuator is bad (which is part of the selector lever), then that is a little more difficult, below are the replacement instructions in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

Please keep in mind Just Answer is set up on an honor system, I have sent the information you have requested, and if the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks. If you have more questions let me know, thanks again.

Stoplamp Switch Replacement Instructions Click Here

Selector Lever Replacement Instructions Click Here