Shawn
Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas

Where is turn flasher relay 2002 ford windstar?

Customer Question

where is turn flasher relay 2002 ford windstar?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.

What type of problem are you having with the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
audible "dinker" sound intermitent inop.I just need location of flasher relay.nothing in owners manual for either fuse box for flasher.lights work
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately my sources also don't provide any information on the location of the flasher. I'll opt out so another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now what? do i need to log in and reask?
Expert:  Alex replied 3 years ago.
I sent your question back out to other experts. If someone has an answer they will reply shortly.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Do any of the turn signals or hazzard lights work properly?

-What else have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need the location of the flasher! lights work. audible inop in cluster at times.there is not a location in owners manual.fuse blocks etc does not label them.i dont believe its in the relay/power distribution center
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.

HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Turn Signal, Cornering and Hazard Lamps

The front left and right turn signal outputs, the front hazard lamp outputs, the LH and RH turn signal mirror outputs, and the cornering lamp outputs are controlled by the FEM. The rear turn signal outputs and the rear hazard lamp outputs are controlled by the REM. The multifunction switch and the hazard switch are hardwired to the instrument cluster. When the multifunction switch is in the left or right turn position, or the hazard switch is placed in the ON position, the instrument cluster will send a command through the standard corporate protocol (SCP) network to the FEM and REM, which apply the signals to the appropriate lamps. When the instrument cluster commands a turn signal ON, the FEM additionally commands the appropriate cornering lamp, which is hard-wired to the FEM.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so there is not a flasher per se.what is fem.and im guessing that the cluster is also the audible "dinker" sound.are there any related service bulletins to this?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Yes that is correct. There is no flasher. The FEM (Front Electronics Module) is located under the dash on the driver's side. I can double check for any TSB's (technical Service Bulletin) but I don't think there are any.

Principles of Operation

NOTE: The front electronic module (FEM), rear electronic module (REM), and the instrument cluster must all be reconfigured before installing a new module.

The vehicle's electronic functions are divided into zones. The FEM controls the front portion of the vehicle and the REM controls the rear portion of the vehicle. These systems rely on the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network in order to transmit and receive signals. As a technician it is very important to understand:

• where the input (command) originates from.
  • all information (messages) necessary in order for a feature to operate.
  • which module(s) receive(s) the input or command message.
  • does the module which received the input (message), control the output of the feature, or does it output a message over the SCP communication network to another module.
  • which module controls the output of the feature.

Front Electronic Module (FEM)

Principles of Operation

The Windstar's electronic functions are divided into zones. The front electronic module (FEM) controls the front portion of the vehicle and the rear electronic module (REM) controls the rear portion of the vehicle. These systems rely heavily on the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communication network in order to transmit and receive signals.

The FEM controls the following systems:

• wiper, washer (front and rear)
  • warning chime
  • accessory delay
  • switched system power (relay 1 and 2 of 4 relays)
  • driver one-touch power window
  • front blower motor relay
  • front parking lamps
  • cornering lamps
  • front headlamps
  • front turn signal lamps
  • front door locks

Rear Electronic Module (REM)

Principles of Operation

NOTE: Note: Upon installation of a new rear electronic module (REM), the module must be reconfigured. Refer to Section 418-01.

The REM controls the following systems:

• switched system power (relay 3 and 4)
  • rear window defrost relay
  • auxiliary climate control
  • electronic day/night rear view mirror
  • overhead interior lighting
  • sliding door and liftgate power locks
  • fuel sender signal transmission
  • rear park lamps
  • brake lamps (including high-mount stoplamp)
  • backup lamps
  • rear turn signals

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks,so i guess that the audible part of the turn signal is in the cluster and would have to send out for repair.its seems to be affected by hot,cold.just strange that lights always work.customer is concerned about not hearing sound at times.do i need to configure cluster if i repair it?
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. I recommend testing first. Yes you will need to reconfigure. The test procedures are below in pdf format, (just click on the link below).

If the answer has been helpful then Please don't forget to click on the ACCEPT button, thanks.

Turn Signal, Cornering and Hazard Lamps Test Procedures Click Here

Shawn, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 16 years experience Ford,Nissan and Honda dealership in all areas
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.I'll return flasher to napa.wild goose chase.
Expert:  Shawn replied 3 years ago.
HiCustomer

Thank you for ACCEPT! You are very welcome!

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.