Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1989 ford ranger: 4 cylinder 2 wheel drive, 1..spark plugs..same thing

Customer Question

I have a 1989 ford ranger 4 cylinderXXXXX 1 of the spark plugs are not fireing, I pulled the plug wire from the coil pack to see if it would arch it just barely fires, I tried another coil pack same thing, what should i try next, Thankyou for an answer
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Swap in another plug and wire, if the spark plug or spark plug wire has too much resistance, it will cause this. Let me kow how it comes out, I can continue with more indepth diagnosis if needed. Thanks

Customer :

I put a new plug wire on the coilpack and tried to ground it not much spark ,the plug wire is new but not really for this veichicle. it should of got good spark though

Dieseljunky2 :

Dot all 3 of the other wires on the driver side have good spark?

Customer :

yes and i tried a new coil pack also it did the same thing

Dieseljunky2 :

On this type of coil, both cylinders 1 and 4 are on the same circuit in the wiring. Do all the cylinders on the right side have good fire?

Customer :

yes i think i didnt check them though

Dieseljunky2 :

Ok, you will need to take the ignition control module to your local auto parts store and have them put it on their test machine. This is the cause of a single cylinder not firing most of the time when the plug and wire are good. It is mounted on the intake manifold sticking out to the side right behind the alternator.

Customer :

it only misfires on that cylinder that i have plug wire off of ,i can tell its only misfireing on 1 cylinder, because when i drive it at 5 or 10 miles an hour it runs fair but stil misses on 1 plug,

Dieseljunky2 :

You need to have the module put on the tested at the autoparts store. It is the most likely suspect in this suituation. Can you take it off and have it tested?

Customer :

i could, but i still respectfully dont know why the spark isnt very good..does the ignition control modgual send the correct fire to the plugs, if it does ill have it tested, at first i thought u meant the modgual was for the ingectors which dont have anything to do with spark,

Dieseljunky2 :

No, that module uses a signal from the computer to fire each coil in the correct timing and order. It can lose the ability to fire a single cylinder based on the electronics inside it. There is not really a way to test it other than with a machine. Most of the auto parts places that have stores nation wide have the machine to test it. Thanks

Dieseljunky2 :

I meant no htat it does not have anything to do with the injectors. Thanks

Customer :

OK I'll have it tested thank' for your help with my truck.

Dieseljunky2 :

I will continue with you tomorrow. After you have the module tesed, reply as you are now tothis question and it will go to me. I will see what you have found out and we can go from there. Thanks

Customer :

OK

Dieseljunky2 :

Thanks