RJ
RJ, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford senior master and ase master certified 19years Ford dealership experience
19037865

f250: Oil leak..its a high pressure oil pump for the 7.3 diesle l

Oil leak, being told its a high pressure oil pump for the 7.3 diesle l on a f250 yr.. 2000? How much should the bill be, and how hard is it to do?

RJ :

Hello Thankyou for Choosing Just Answer.

Customer :

RJ,

Customer :

what do you know about 7.3L engines

RJ :

If your using a ford factory pump the labor is the list price is 907.00 and the labor should run around 4.0 hours.. And local labor rates per hour will vary.

RJ :

What do you need to know ?

Customer :

Why is it so expensive, they told me it was an external pump?

Customer :

the dealer quoted me 1200, and when I took it in the first time, I was told it was the rear main seal that was leaking

RJ :

The pump is driven off the timing gears and is bolted to the back of the oil reservoir, there is a few components that must be removed to access and remove the pump. As for cost of the part i cant tell you why. Well 1200 minus pump leaves roughly 300.00 assuming your being charged list price for the pump. And if the labor rate is 75 bucks a hour that works our to right on 4 hours sounds about right to me.

RJ :

a high pressure pump leak will run down the center of the engine valley and can easily be misdiagnosed as a rear main seal, if not inspected throughly.

Customer :

ok thanks.. rj.. wish you knew someone I could trust in Portland area..

RJ :

There are also two fittings on the left side of the pump that often leak. This should be looked at thoughly as well as you may only need to have the fittings resealed. You can start the truck and see the two fittings and if they are leaking it is very obvious.

RJ :

Sorry man cant help ya there. If you want to get her over here to montana i could sure take care of her for ya . : ) Have a great day .

Customer :

Well let me pack dinner..Or how about it we fly you here.. and you get out of the snow??

Customer :

really, thanks..