Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Ford Explorer Limited ford explorer 4.6 v-8 have random misfire

ford explorer 4.6 v-8 have random misfire under light load in high gear . when it downshifts its usually clears out but sometimes won't wind out instead rpms stall out in 3500 to4800 rpm range kinda pops and bucks then clears out . finally did it bad enough to light up check engine light and stay on , local o'reilly's loan code reader shows a p0300 random misfire that's all . think it's a coil pack but don't know which one.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Just based on this one code there is a few more diagnostics which need to be performed. Your concern does fit that of a coil or plug needing to be replaced but the fact the random misfire code came up this means that its a misfire on multiple cylinders, so its not just one coil or plug. If your at or near the 100k tuneup like above 70k I recommend all new motorcraft spark plugs to start. if it continues then you need to use a scan tool and watch the camshaft and crankshaft speed sensors to see if they show a glitch causing these misfires. next you need to monitor the fuel pressure. Then you would need to check for a dirty MAF sensor or clogged EGR valve.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.