AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2008 FORD EXPEDITION: THE SHIFT INTERLOCK..SCANNER..BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

I HAVE A 2008 FORD EXPEDITION THE BRAKE LIGHTS AND THE SHIFT INTERLOCK ARE NOT WORKING, YESTERDAY THEY WORKED SOMETIMES, I PLUGGED IN MY SCANNER AND THE COMPUTER SEES BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH ACTIVATION, POWER AT THE SWITCH IS GOOD WHAT DO YOU THINK?? THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

What size engine do you have?

Did you say that you have power to the brake light switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
5.4 LITER AND YES HAVE POWER AT SWITCH YELLOW WIRE WHEN PEDAL APPLIED
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
What color wire has power on it leaving the brake light switch with the brake pedal pushed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YELLOW/ GRY
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked for power at the interlock switch?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO I HAVE NOT, REMEMBER I DO HAVE SIGNAL AT THE COMPUTER OF BRAKE LIGHT ACTIVATION AS PER MY SCANNER, ALSO YESTERDAY WHEN THE SYSTEM SEEMED TO WORK I HAD NO POWER AT THE HIGH MOUNTED BRAKE LIGHT EITHER , NOT TO SOUND STUPOID BUT WERE IS THE INTERLOCK SOLENOID??
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
If this is a column shift, it will be on the steering column.

It sound to me like you have a bad smart junction box, blow fuse or a bad connection at or inside the smart junction box. The smart junction box powers up the shift interlock solenoid and the brake lights. Here are two diagrams.

graphic
graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IS THAT THE BOX IN THE RF KICKPANEL? ALL THE FUSES WERE GOOD
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Do you have power coming out of the violet and orange wire from the smart junction box going to the right rear brake light with the brake pedal pressed?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I DONT KNOW AT THIS TIME
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Chances are you don't. This is because the smart junction box is most likely bad or there is a bad connection inside it.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!

Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE