Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

1993 ford f250: fuel leaking around the injectors,and fuel in my oil.

i have a 1993 ford f250 with a 7.3 motor. i have fuel leaking around the injectors,and fuel in my oil. do i need to replace the injectors? and how do i do it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 3 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 :

Hello, the two problems you are having are not caused by the same thing. First, the fuel leaking around the injectors is caused by te plastic caps under the fuel line retainer nuts. To fix this, you will need to purchase a fuel return line kit. This is a kit with all the caps for all the injectors as well as new o-rings to put them on with. You unscrew the nut that holds the line on and move it aside. Remove the fuel line from the sides of the plastic caps and the cap will pull off over the top of the injector. THere are 2 o-rings on the top of theinjector where the plastic cap fits. Remove and replace these o-rings with new ones from the kit. Here is a link to the kit that you need for the leakat the injectors. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-3-Diesel-Ford-Injector-Kit-Fix-Leak-Return-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b8841e41QQitemZ170599390785QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Dieseljunky2 :

Now the fuel in the oil is usually caused by a bad diaphram in the fuel transfer pump. It is located on the passenger side and looks just like a gas engine fuel pump. Here are the directions to replace it. Thanks

Service and Repair

REMOVAL

1. Using a flare nut wrench, break loose the fuel line connections at the fuel pump. Do not remove lines at this time.

2. Loosen mounting bolts one to two turns. Apply force with hand to loosen fuel pump if gasket is stuck. Rotate engine, by "nudging" starter, until fuel pump cam lobe is at low position. At this position, spring tension against fuel pump bolts will be greatly reduced.

3. Disconnect fuel lines.

WARNING: Spilled fuel is combustible.

1. Remove fuel pump attaching bolts. Remove pump and gasket.

INSTALLATION

1. Clean the fuel pump mating surfaces.

2. Install attaching bolts into fuel supply pump and install a new gasket onto bolts. Position fuel supply pump to mounting pad. Turn attaching bolts alternately and evenly to 26-37 Nm (19-27 ft lb) .

NOTE : Cam must be at low position before attempting to install fuel supply pump. If it is difficult to start the mounting bolts due to spring action of the fuel pump, turn crankshaft by hand 360°to relocate camshaft lobe. Then, proceed with fuel supply pump installation. Install with lever on bottom side of cam.

1. Install the fuel outlet line. Start fitting by hand to avoid cross-threading, then tighten to 20-24 Nm (15-18 ft lb).

2. Install the inlet line and tighten hose clamp.

3. Start engine and observe all connections for fuel leaks for two minutes.

4. Stop engine and check all fuel supply pump fuel line connections. Check for oil leaks at pump mounting pad.

Dieseljunky2 :

Full Size Image

Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience