Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

1997 ford f150: power windows or keyless entry..fuse box..Gem module

I have a 1997 ford f150 4x2 4.6L v8 without power windows or keyless entry. My wipers, door chime, dome light, and cargo light do not work intermittently(mostly don't work at all now). I have done a lot of research and I took out my fuse box and Gem module to look for corrosion from any water intrusion. I saw NO corrosion at all or any evidence of water leaking in anywhere. I cleaned up all my Neg battery cable leads. I replaced my battery b/c it was 5 yrs old. I put the car back together and everything worked perfectly- for about 12 hours. Is this actually a gem problem or does this sound like a short somewhere? Would one of my relays be responsible for these 3 going on and off like this? I dont want to buy an expensive gem that i cant return if i don't need to. Any Ideas? thanks for your time.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ford expert replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Yes you're absolutely correct when you replace the battery what that did was reset the gem module temporarily apparently there's an internal fault in the gem module itself and after it had been reactivated for 12 hours it started act up again. The gem module may will need to be replaced and this will need to be reprogrammed by the dealer using a factory scan tool

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have my exact part number.My Ford dealer no longer carries the part. I found a place online that sells remanufactured ones matching my part #(that may need to be reprogrammed). Another site sells a ford oem part that they call the updated gem that replaces my part# XXXXX say will not need programming. My car is a 4x2 without keyless or power windows(1997). Others have said I would not need reprogramming in my model yr and options. I need to know to decide where to get the part -as the dealer will charge me more to reprogram than anything I will save on the price difference. Are you sure nothing else could cause those issues to happen since my gem doesn't seem to be water damaged?

does your key have a security chip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing special about my key. NO power locks or windows.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing special about my key-no chips. NO power locks or windows.

does the key have the chip built into the key ? is there a light on the dash that says security or theft when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I dont know if anything is built into key-bought it used. Just checked with key to on- i dont see any light that says security or theft on panel.

Are you sure that i have a bad gem since i saw no water damage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have in front of me now my vin # XXXXX my truck and part # XXXXX found on the gem when i removed and replaced it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you still there? I just wanted to know if something other than my GEM( which appears to be fine b/c it is not water damaged ) could cause my problems. If I do need a gem I wanted to get the cheapest one possible because they are $$ and hard to find. Knowing if i need a dealer to program it is a big part of my purchase decision. I have all my car info in front of me.
There's always a possibility that you have other problems besides the gem module The best way to determine this is to see if the gem module is functioning properly using a factory scan tool . If you have no theft system on this vehicle then you should be able to get away without reprogramming the new gem module
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 yrs,experience shop owner,