Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified

Ford F150 Pickup 4x4 2003 f150 4x4 the hubs will not engage

Customer Question

2003 f150 4x4 the hubs will not engage to lock into 4x4. I have had truck to certified ford dealer over 3 months they change several parts finally told me they can not find the problem they could not fix my ford.. I was able to get the 4x4 to work when I turned on Defroster and engaged for a while but then disengaged leaving me in the field stuck. All fuses good, many new ford parts which they charge me over 900.00 for and no 4x4. if any one knows the issue please let me know.. Thanks
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 5 years ago.
Getting the front hubs to lock should not be that hard to figure out. The GEM module sends a signal to power the solenoid that supplies vacuum to the front differential which slides the collar over to engage the front axle. The most common issues are bad solenoid located on firewall beside battery, or the vacuum lines corroded by the battery.The lines run by and behind the battery to the vac reservoir located directly behind the battery. The first thing to check is to pull the vac line off the front differential if you have vac than you have an internal issue in the front end. If no vac you need to trace the lines to the solenoids.