CTFordTech
CTFordTech, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Master School Certified, Kia Elite School Certified, ASE Certified, A/C 609 Certified
9926638

Ford Fusion Hybrid: the battery last

I want to buy a Ford Fusion Hybrid but the battery scares me.

How long does the battery last??

How much does it cost to replace the battery?

The Ford Fusion Forum says that the replacement cost is $8,000.00.

This would be a real hardship since i hope to retire and I will be on a fixed income thereafter.
Category: Ford
Expert:  CTFordTech replied 5 years ago.

Hello and Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your question today.

Ford has had the Hybrid vehicle line since 2005 and in that time frame I have only seen 1 battery pack go bad and it was under warranty. The Hybrids have a very good warranty to help prevent costly repairs like that. You could either have a 8 year 80k warranty or 15 year 150k warranty.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. But how much does the extended warranty for 15 years cost? And I still don't know how much the replacement cost would be if I had to pay it out of pocket.
Its not an extended, its part of the factory emissions warranty for California Emissions vehicles which most vehicles in any state are.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
None of my questions regarding dollar amounts was answered. I am not in California. I am in Georgia. The answers were vague and non specific as far as i am concerned and were less satisfactory than no answer at all. The answers did not seem to be from anyone who was knowledgable on the subject. The question about whether the replacement battery would cost $8,000 if not under warranty was not answered. i hope that this is the last car that i have to buy in my lifetime and I do not feel that I am getting the information that I need to make an informed choice
I answered your questions already. The replacement cost is right around what a dealer would charge as the battery packs are the heart of the vehicle. I was trying to ease your mind when I said I have only seen one battery pack go bad since 2005. As for the California Emissions, Again like I said, most vehicles that are manufactured are manufactured under the California Emissions regulations. You do not have to live in California to have the warranty. As long as your state carried the California Emissions law then it will be covered. If you need to know anything else, please let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
What would you like to know? I am really confused.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to know the cost of a replacement battery if I had to buy one after the warranty runs out.

Again the price you saw of $8,000 is right around the cost of the battery to replace and I have gotten estimates from other experts of anywhere between $7,200 and 8,500 so $8,000 is pretty much in the middle.