Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Ford Taurus 2001 ford tarus i replace the power steering pump

Customer Question

2001 ford tarus i replace the power steering pump and i have aot of air in it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.

Below is a bleeding procedure, it should help the problem.

Fill with power steering fluid raised front end off ground and cycle steering left and right 10 to 15 times (slowly) with engine off be sure to keep the fluid full, you may need to repeat this a few times.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried what u recommend but it still hard to turn. I replace the pump and the rack
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
I did not know it was hard to steer you just stated it had a lot of air in the system. So when you try to turn the wheel is the pump making noise? Is there still air in the system?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes the pump is making alot of noise and when u turn the car off the fluid come pouring out the resevior
Expert:  Daryl replied 6 years ago.
If that is the case there is still air in the system so the process I gave should fix that, if it did not it needed to be repeated as described in my earlier posting(be sure you are doing the procedure with the engine off). If that does not work at all after several attempts there is most likely a leak in one on the hoses which is letting air into the system.

Edited by zzdaryl on 2/3/2011 at 11:11 AM EST